Stinky kitty

Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des Plaines
edited January 2016 in Cat Health
OK, this might be a really dumb question. Do cats have anal glands and do they ever need to be expressed? I got Lurch yesterday from a shelter and he's really stinky (poop). I assumed it was shelter smell or he had rolled in it. I wiped him down with bathroom wipes and it helped a little. I just tried to give him a bath - for a disabled little guy, he's pretty strong MOL! :)) I wasn't able to wash most of him, unfortunately. He seems to have a small swelling where he once had testicles :-O that he doesn't like me to touch. (I have a call in to the shelter to find out when he was neutered.) It's very poopy smelling back there, but he had a normal stool overnight. That's why I was thinking maybe it was an anal gland problem. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter Seattle
    edited December 2008
    Yes. Cats do have Anal Glands and they do sometimes have to be expressed. As far as the swelling goes, you should have the vet look at that.
  • Gretchen SmithGretchen Smith Manheim
    edited December 2008
    Might you just have trouble cleaning back there because of your disability? Sometimes when my mommy picks me up she says "Eww, Ralphie, you need to clean yourself better" because I leave stinky wet spots on her. It's not that I have trouble cleaning myself, I just have other things that are more important. :)
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood Country
    edited December 2008
    The swelling could mean impacted anal glands.
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Boston ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Oh, I know wuts dem smelly smells are!!! ::o::o My cat before Kally Kat was adopted had Anal Glands issues. They were full & had the Vet drained & clean her ups. Some cat humans can do with the Vets showing you, but not my Buffy. After her Vet performed & express the anal glands no more stinky smellies! I used to see small spots of lite goldish/light brown spots on my blankets. I sez now, where is this coming from? I hope that I was some help for your mommy! :B