Is this a Kids Game we WANT ?

Debbie CormellDebbie Cormell Member Posts: 158
edited 5 March, 2009 in Laws & Legislation
I am FURIOUS! While looking for a kids game site for my grandson I saw THIS horrendous game - Kitty Canon - YES put an orange cat INTO the cannon and shoot it INTO a mine field to see "how far it get's" alive.... WhatTheHECK is this teaching kids???? I wrote to the ASPCA, but ALL complaints should be sent and make them get THIS type of junk out of the hands of kids who may TRY this with "real cats" :-( Sick!!! http://www.aeriagames.com/games/mini/other/5032/Kitten_Cannon

Comments

• Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 3 March, 2009
    Like most things you find online, it's not really meant "for kids" Plus, it's very fun. Lighten up.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 3 March, 2009
    Sandia Sandy, I agree with you. I think that "game" is awful and really disgusting.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 3 March, 2009
    But like most things online, what is to prevent kids from playing this game. And even if it is for adults, why glorify abusing animals. A few years ago a video game came out which showed women being attacked by masked men. Yes, it was supposed to be "adults only", but I was among many,many other women who signed a petiton to stop its distribution. ANY game that glorifies abuse of women, children, the elderly animals is NOT what I consider a "game".
  • edited 3 March, 2009
    I'm sorry I have to disagree, if some idiot decides that he should go out and shoot kittens out of a cannon, I'm not going to blame this game. I'm going to blame him for being an idiot and not having enough common sense to realize that what can be done in a game can not be allowed in the real world. And as far as people being worried about kids playing this game and trying it. That is up to the parents to either stop the children from playing the game or teach, them it is not something to be done in the real world. Don't blame video games, blame idiots.
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 3 March, 2009
    It's a game. It's the internet. And what's stopping kids from playing it? Hopefully their PARENTS are watching what they do online. After all, it is up to them. I know my parents had the computer locked down when I was a kid. You can't censor everything you don't like. Lots of things offend me, but people have a right to create offensive games,literature, movies, etc if they want.
  • Kaitlyn OliverKaitlyn Oliver By the Lake :)Member Posts: 674
    edited 3 March, 2009
    I agree Newt. What kind of sane person plays a game and then goes out and does what was displayed in the game? I play games like Grand Theft Auto and similar but it doesn't mean I'm a murderer. o.O I just like the plot and the actual game. I think some people get a little uptight about things sometimes..
  • edited 3 March, 2009
    Actually Grand Theft Auto was the game I was thinking about when I was writing that. And Halo (1,2, and 3) :))!
  • edited 4 March, 2009
    Before I start, because I sometimes easily find myself on soap boxes, :? let me just say, nothing I am about to say is aimed at anyone personally, nor is it in reaction to anything anyone has posted which stirred me. Further, it's only meant for thought to chew on, not as a lecture. It is just my take on this particular topic. Laws passed against morality are no more effective at making people moral than prohibition was at eliminating alcoholism. Personally, I don’t want the law getting involved with the raising of my child anymore than they have to. I want to raise my child while it’s still allowed. I already don’t like the way the law gets to decide how I am allowed to discipline my child. ::o I think it's very important for us to bring up and discuss a thing like this with our kids as soon as we are aware of its existence, rather than wait for our kids to learn about it from somewhere or someone else, with good information and calm nurturing rather than judgment. |:| Still, discussion before introduction, is like horse-back riding lessons without the horse. If you really don't want your kid to be influenced by other sources, you should be the one to make the introduction to everything you want them to learn and put in your 2¢ while you do. Want your kid to be empathetic toward pets? Get them one or have them participate in the care of one. If you want them to care for it right, make sure they do. If mine don’t feed the dog, for instance, they don’t get dinner till they do. If they don’t walk him, they don’t get to go play until they do …and so on. If you want your kid to learn that animal abuse is a horrible, unacceptable thing, have a family discussion over a prerecorded episode of “Animal Precinct” (or something equivalent like internet research, including pictures). You can over-see, stop, pause, or influence as needed, if you provide the info. Naturally, this should be planned age-appropriately or appropriate to a particular child’s emotional maturity level. Shielding a child from bad things doesn't prevent him/her from experiencing them. It only ensures you won't be there to help or influence them when they do. We should share all the wisdom and aid that we can, while we can. ;)
  • Deborah EbersoldDeborah Ebersold West HollywoodMember Posts: 43,115 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March, 2009
    Well, it's all well and fine to leave parenting up to parents. What if the parents are irresponsible or uncaring? It doesn't help to have a game that in anyway promotes abuse of any kind. What if the game were showing babies beeing shot out of cannons. Don't you think some young minds would think, it must be OK? Why would any adults (for whom the game is supposedly intended) enjoy any type of abuse or cruelty as a game, anyway? There are more than enough people who do think of cruel things to do on their own, and kitties are more often than not the victims, lets not do anything or allow anything that in any way trivialize this behaviour.
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 4 March, 2009
    I've.seen.games.with.the.baby.instead.of.cat.its.not.anything.new. To.each.their.own.Go.ahead.and.write.these.people.if.you.want. thats.your.right.but.I'm.not.going.to.I.like.my.freedoms.and.if.someone wants.to.make.a.game.like.that,in.my.opinion,thats.their.right.and.I'm not.going.to.stop.them.
  • edited 4 March, 2009
    I've seen the version with the baby being shot out of a cannon too.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 4 March, 2009
    just a thought, re: kids imitating this game...how many kids have access to a cannon and a minefield? :-k certain games can provide a \"script\" for sick people who are imagination-deprived...but it takes lack of empathy-and more, a taste for cruelty-to carry the \"scripts\" out. people (assuming they have access to a cannon and a minefield?) who would do something like this IRL (\"in real life\") are people who would have done SOMETHING anyway...it just might not have been as picturesque. even seeing REAL violence against animals doesn\'t mean a child will do the same-i watched my father kick our dog half to death, and slam our kitten against a wall and kill it. neither my brother nor i would ever harm an animal. it\'s just more complicated than that.
  • edited 4 March, 2009
    I'm laughing, people keep bringing up stuff I'm thinking about but not willing to come see, I had been thinking about that one for awhile. How many people can even get ahold of a cannon. And I'm sorry that your dad did that Kaya Skye.:((
    edited 4 March, 2009
    oh, me too...it\'s been more than thirty years, and i STILL have nightmares. :(( some people are just wired wrong...you know what stays with me? he would kick the dog and it would run away a few feet-and then he would call it back to be kicked again...the dog would run away...be called back to be kicked more... witnessing the misuse of the bond he had with that dog, that the dog would come back and come back, even though he knew...? i\'m not sure ANYONE is worthy of that kind of unconditional love. we don\'t honor our animals enough. but i have to add, re: the subject of this thread...my father did what he did because he\'s basically a psychopath. unless you count saturday morning cartoons (tom & jerry, the roadrunner and wile e. coyote) there were no cultural cues that prompted his violence.
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 5 March, 2009
    I was thinking that, too. How many eight year olds do you know that have a cannon? Lighten up. Seriously. It's just a game. Ever heard the things people say about GTA? I play GTA. I'm not going around doing drugs and running people over for fun. I don't like the idea of a kitty being shot out of a cannon, either. But, I doubt we'll read about an eight year old somehow getting a hold of a cannon and shooting his pet cat out of it in the paper anytime soon. And, Kaya, you're right. Having a mother that rescued dogs half her life, I've seen some pretty horrid things. We both witnessed a pit bull being trained to "fight". And the way she was being trained... wasn't pretty. We also witnessed a chow being kicked half to death just because he got off his 5 ft chain somehow. Needless to say, both of those dogs were in the hands of a rescue the next day. Worry about a real problem. Ever heard of a game kids ACTUALLY do play? Where they shove firecrackers up cats? It's horrible. I knew someone that did it. AND BRAGGED. That's something you should worry about.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 5 March, 2009
    I’m not actually concerned that a child is going to literally shoot a cat out of a cannon. And I agree with Kaya Skye in that it takes a lack of empathy and more to act out violently and abusively in real life. And I agree that seeing real violence doesn’t mean a child will do the same; it IS much more complicated than that. And Noble, of course I DO care about “real” things. My concern regarding a “game” like kitty cannon isn’t that kitties are going to be shot out of cannons; it’s concern that such a “game” may contribute to desensitization, especially in relation to people who already lack empathy and executive cognitive functioning. I agree with Emma Barrett and Empurress Playful; anything that glorifies abuse of animals or people is not something I would consider a “game.” Just my opinion.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 5 March, 2009
    this is a very loaded issue (pun intended). i have played violent video games all of my life. i have always listened to music with the advisory. i watch horror movies. this in no way desensitized me to real violence. nor do i seek to imitate. i am a fairly well adjusted law abiding contributor to society. i made morality calls to myself long ago. i happen to be into the punk and goth lifestyle. i remeber columbine and i was judged harshly at that time. everyone was quick to point a finger at KMFDM, rammstein and marilyn manson. these kids were messed up and just happened to have my musical taste. the difference between me and them? my parents were involved and i have a conscience. do i agree with this assanine game? HECK NO!!!!!!! sooo i won't play it or let my son. i take the time out to explain to him in ways where he can exhibit reason, logic and empathy. not all parents are like me sure. but the government already raises our kids and i'm sick of it. i have raised my son in such a way that if he were allowed the opportunity to play this, he wouldn't. he would find it mean and cruel. kids are always going to be exposed to things. we need to give them tools and knowledge PRIOR to this being a concern. and of course, stiffer penalties for abuse or cruelty. it's a shame some jerk thought it was ok to manufacture this game, but i don't plan on playing it.
  • Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 5 March, 2009
    There is a saying, "out of the hearts aboundance the mouth bubles forth" This is a given truth but if actions speak louder than words then you have to think. What is in the heart of those that create these violent video games and what is in the heart of those that play them? How far is it to sep over the line from playing / thinking (because if your playing these games your thinking about commiting these crime) these game to acting them out? And don't knock it some people have steped over that line, once the game was no longer stimulating enough, and robed banks and killed people. Are they Idiots - YES - both for playing the games and for acting them out. Here we are talking about adults not kids. Kids are twice as influential so first and formost it is up to parents to gaurd what thier childern watch or play but there are parents out there that allow thier kids to watch or play these games. I feel sorry for these children as they are loosing out on thier innocents.
  • martha ciatteimartha ciattei Member Posts: 3,158
    edited 5 March, 2009
    Honestly, I think ANYTHING that glorifies or condones any kind of violence just serves to further desensitize people (especially impressionable children) and is wrong. That goes for that hideous sounding Grand Theft Auto. It is NEVER okay to let kids think it\'s normal or all right to harm people, animals or the environment. That being said, those things exist and always will (unfortunately). Some kids are well supervised and taught positive values and some obviously are not. Some exposed to that will know it\'s just a game and others will think it\'s a good idea to shoot cats out of canons, or anything else they can devise. I say it\'s not a good idea to give people another idea on how to torture. BUT if you try to keep kids from things, they are even more hellbent to find out about it. That\'s just human nature I think. We could leave it in the hands of the parents, but again, we have a whole generation of kids that are growing up without parents or with parents that set terrible examples and actually teach their kids violent ways. So what\'s the answer? I don\'t know. I wish corporations would be more responsible as to what they produce, but violence and sex sell, so they won\'t stop. I wish all kids had responsible, sensitive parents and teachers that could guide them, but they don\'t. I think it has to be one on one when we can do it. I have heard of teachers who bring small animals to class and they help teach even the most hardened kids respect and love for animals. There are programs in prison that help prisoners learn to be empathic by caring for animals. There are programs for at risk kids that do the same thing. I think making laws stronger for animal abuse would at least make us feel better about punishing perpetrators, but I\'m not sure it would stop people in the first place. I think everyone needs to know the link between animal abuse and human violence. This is a WELL DOCUMENTED connection; it has been shown beyond doubt that people that abuse animals often graduate to people, whether it be with dog fighting, domestic abuse, \"boys being boys\" abuse (I HATE that excuse). It just makes intuitive sense that if you can abuse one vulnerable creature, you won\'t think twice about abusing another. I guess I think the answer is \"Think globally, act locally.\" Do what you can do on an individual level. The games will never stop. The abuse will never stop. But we can do what we can do to the best of our ability. Educate, educate, educate: write letters to prosecutors to help them understand the link between animal abuse and human violence when prosecuting an animal abuser, talk to people that work with kids and parents to help them understand this link in case they know of a kid abusing an animal, work with homes for abused women to allow them to bring their pets with them (50% abused women won\'t leave their home without their pets because they are afraid their abusers will harm or kill their pet). Those of you who have witnessed violence and would NEVER be like the offender, I commend you. Those of you who can play these games and handle them, I commend you also. I just worry about the unbalanced members of our society, but like one person said, these people would find a way anyway. BUT if I were to \"pick a side\", in a perfect world there would be nothing that allowed people to participate in violent play, but there would be no violence either. And in our imperfect world, I would care to see LESS violence-oriented choices for people rather than more. So I would nix the game.
    edited 5 March, 2009
    \"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers. ...this quote was attributed to socrates by plato. it\'s not certain that the attribution is correct, it is certain that it either predates plato or he said it and attributed it to socrates to give it more credence. the point? complaints about \"this generation\" are OLD news. human nature has not changed, we are not more violent than we have ever been...we just have more dangerous toys and better reporting.
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 5 March, 2009
    Amelia has touched most of the points I had rolling around in my own mind regtarding society and responsibility. While I understand balance and that cruelty and kindness are simply opposite sides of the same coin. Perhaps even needing each other in order to exist. A society's values will be mirrored in their entertainment. I personally do not think that music, games, or media can be blamed for causing anyone to do anything that they are not already disposed towards doing. Also, animals and children perpetuating cruelties upon them is nothing new. There were boys in my *elementary* school who stoned to death a duck. That was 35 years ago. They were barely even penalized. It certainly was not a result of any outside influence *telling* them to do it. It was something *broken* inside of themselves. Our society, our culture already has enough examples of the devaluing of animal's lives. It is my opinion that the more that are added, the more acceptable that devaluement becomes. This is also why "Free to a Good Home" ads are not a good idea. Not only because the danger exists of Class B animal dealers, who will gladly snap up such "free" animals to sell them to labs. A state by state map listing of Class B dealers can be found here: But because "Free to a Good Home" places NO value on that animal's life and humans tend to treat things of *lesser value* poorly. With the Novemeber elections and states like California passing animal welfare ballot initiatives and Massachusetts banning greyhound racing, I hope that the tide of public opinion is shifting towards a more valued and humane view of animal's lives. May we as a society get to a point where we don't see animals cruelty as *fun*
  • Susan MavesSusan Maves MaconMember Posts: 6,697
    edited 5 March, 2009
    I'm always on the fence on issues like this that focus on games, etc. While I'm not a huge fan of censorship, I'm certainly not a fan of things that depict violence, or glamorize crime. The problem we're facing as a society is that people have become so de-sensitized to these things. There is no shock-factor anymore. And since most families need to have both parents working outside the home, it's not so simple to say that parents need to patrol what their kids are watching, playing, etc. But look at shows and movies like "Jacka**". There are SO many reports of people getting hurt and even killed trying to replicate the ridiculous stunts from that program. Seriously, what in the world would make people go out and try things like that?? And yet it happens. I just don't know what the answer is, because the problem isn't so specifically with this issue. It's about what has become of the values of our society as a whole. When a society has really strong values, a game like this is looked at as simple fun, and pure animation. When values are faltering, this game is like a dare to anyone who is bored, resentful, or angry.