Sudden Aggression

Jennifer FalveyJennifer Falvey Member Posts: 249
edited 5 May, 2011 in Behavior & Training
I rescued Abby years ago (over 4) and she has never been an outdoor kitty with me, although she was found as a stray prior to my adoption of her. While she has attempted to escape a few times over the years, the apartment I rented had a mud room that prevented true escape into the great outdoors. Last August I moved into my first house. About 2 weeks ago, she finally managed to escape and enjoyed quite the outdoor romp. Now she demands and tries to escape everytime I open the door to let the dogs in/out, and as much as I try to prevent her, she will bite or scratch if I get in her way. She has been outside probably 10 times in the last 2 weeks. Now to the problem: the last 2 days she has been REALLY aggressive to my dogs. The dogs do not bother her and she has never had a problem with them before. Now she is actively stalking and attacking them with no just cause. In my mind, the correlation is the recent outdoor activity, as she had never attacked me before for trying to pick her up (even though she doesn't like to be carried), and the aggression seemed to start with me stopping her outdoor play. Does anyone have any thoughts about this or had a similar experience? I feel her anger is about not being let out and I worry about the dangers of outdoors, as I live in a very rural area, where coyotes, foxes, fisher cats, etc., are common.

Comments

• Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 4 May, 2011
    IMO I would say you are quiet right. It is called Displaced Aggression. I do the same thing when my pet parents do not get up and open the door for me. Because we have a big doggy door and all of the other cats go out it, I DEMAND to be let out the front door and if they do not listen to me, I attack the dogs and scream like a Halloween cat! Meowma has tried to keep us all inside, but we ripped up the window screens and window molding and since they rent... we cats won .Good luck and please let us all know what you decide to do.
  • Jennifer FalveyJennifer Falvey Member Posts: 249
    edited 5 May, 2011
    I looked up displaced aggression and that seems exactly what is happening. I guess I\'ll just let her out when she wants, within reason, because otherwise I think she is going to hurt one of the dogs or myself. I can\'t believe how violent she has become. Thanks for the insight, Puff. I had called the vet, but they did not have any advice to offer me. Glad I know what is going on now.
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 5 May, 2011
    Would it be possible to fix her some type of outdoor enclosure so she'd be protected and still be outdoors?