Out of no where, cat is now scared of step daughter

KIM MONJUREKIM MONJURE Member Posts: 1
edited 28 May, 2011 in Behavior & Training
I was awoken by a horrible scream the other night from my step daughter (age 13). By the time I got to her, I saw my cat walking away but she told me that the cat cornered her in the laundry room and was hissing and growling. She told me that on her way to the laundry room, she tripped over one of the cats but not sure which cat it was but my other cat was hiding under the bed scared and the cat that was hissing at her was just walking around staring and being distant with my stepdaughter but not with anyone else...didnt even seem scared of us, just step daughter. Step daughter (SD) is the ONLY one that never gives attention to the cat and doesnt all cat in her room, always fusses at him to get out if he tries to go in her room. When SD isnt home (only home 3-4 days out of a week) her bedroom door stays shut. Any other time, cat would allow SD to pet him so he isnt scared of her otherwise. Then today, while nobody was around, he did the same thing to her, starred her down, then growled at her. She claims she didnt do anything to cat. We are baffled because this cat is the sweetest most affectionate cat Ive ever known! He greets strangers when they come over, etc. Its like he has his guard up when she enters the room he's in. Is my SD possessed or something and the cat senses it!? SD isnt an animal lover and we have another cat and 2 dogs in the house and SD never interacts with any of the animals. Could cat be sensing something about SD? What can we do to get cat to stop trying to attack her.

Comments

• Jessica EvansJessica Evans SyracuseMember Posts: 38
    edited 28 May, 2011
    I think your cat is reacting to the "negative energy" that your SD is showing towards your pets. Cats can sense hostility and I'm sure that the cat was reacting to your SD tripping over her as an attack since she hasn't exactly been pleasant to them. I hope this doesn't come out mean but she's going to have to learn how to interact with them. She doesn't have to like them but her body language around them is probably going to have to change. If that makes sense...
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 28 May, 2011
    Yeah, I agree. Keeping the door closed all the time, acting cool and aloof to them. Animals are absolutely the best judge of character. If someone comes into my house and my cats act like they won't ever even come out or they react awful, there's usually a reason for it. I've had some friends come in that are lifelong animal LOVERS and my cats just absolutely adore them from the start even though they hardly ever come over. They really are super sensitive. I hate to say this, but are you sure she didn't do anything to him? Even by accident? :?