How can I get my cat to stop being mean?

stephanie o'learystephanie o'leary Member Posts: 69
edited 4 March, 2014 in Behavior & Training
In the last few months since getting my cat, he has started to attack me when being pet or picked up. Biting and latching on with his claws. He doesn't bite down hard, but sometimes the claws get me and he wont let go. Its more annoying than painful. I'm not sure how to deal with it other than try to break free.

Comments

• Jo PenningJo Penning TownsvilleMember Posts: 8
    edited 2 March, 2014
    Hi Luna! How do you hold him when you pick him up? He might not feel supported properly. Also how often do you play with him with an interactive toy? If your only real interaction with each other is coming from the cuddles and being held, he might need more stimulation in order to release energy build up.
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March, 2014
    Is he neutered? If not he may need to be. And maybe get him some toys that require a bit of exercise, a cat tree, maybe a fishing pole type dangling toy or maybe a playmate. Maybe even when the weather gets warmer you could take him outside on a leash or in a stroller. I loved my strolls always made me feel so calm and satisfied after a nice stroll or walk on my leash.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 4 March, 2014
    Some kitties just do not like to be picked up. When you are petting your kitty, watch for his ears to flick back, or his tail to start flicking faster. These are subtle signs that he has had enough. They cannot speak, so the only way to let us know is to do this. Also don't use your hand as a toy, they don't understand that they are biting too much. Sometimes they get overstimulated, like a little kid. WHen he bites, just say NO sternly, until he calms down. Walk away if needed. THen go back & put the food down. He just needs to understand that behavior won't get him food, but being a good boy will. Hope this helps a bit! :-h