I've run away.

Darla DunnDarla Dunn DeSotoMember Posts: 129 ✭✭
edited 20 April, 2015 in Kitten Corner
I've been gone for three days now and my mom has only had two hours of sleep because she's out there looking for me. Bo has never left the yard and he's gone. He's neutered but I think he must have found a girlfriend. I'm worried sick. Have put up flyers all over the place and at the vets office, filled out a lost form at the shelters and pounded the pavement. I don't know what else to do. I sit here crying as I type this. I need to find him.

Comments

• Sara BadaraccoSara Badaracco Member Posts: 47
    edited 20 March, 2015
    I'm so sorry to hear about your lost kitty! My kitten escaped out a window the day after Christmas, and we were searching all day for her, putting up posters, and driving around the neighborhood. She turned up at dusk on my own porch, just a few yards from where she escaped and had been hiding in the eaves. A lot of times lost cats will hide very close to home. If they step outside their "territory" or are chased away by a dog or other cat, they are scared and will hide without making a sound. Their instincts will tell them not to move or to meow. He is most likely not halfway across the county, he's probably within a block of your yard, disoriented. Many times you can turn up a lost cat by searching, and setting humane traps. Knock on your neighbors' doors and ask permission to thoroughly search their yard for the cat. Don't just ask them to look. Search under their porch, in the garage, any small, dark place that a cat could hide. Visually LOOK rather than calling, because outside his territory your cat will probably not respond to your voice by meowing back. It is his instinct to protect himself. Also setting a humane trap close to home may help. Google how to do this and what is a good place to put it. If this is an outdoor cat that is always out on the town within a wide radius of home and he just didn't come home for dinner, there is a greater chance he is sick or injured and you would need to use different measures. Good luck and let us know when you find your kitty!! :..(
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March, 2015
    They say that putting things that smell familiar around the outside of the house can help. Put his litterbox out by the door, and some blankets and things with your smell on them. Are you on Facebook? I belong to several local groups on FB that share information regarding lost and found pets. You can check if there's one in your area that can share Bo's photo and how to reach you if anyone sees him. Good luck! Keep us posted! |:|
  • Darla DunnDarla Dunn DeSotoMember Posts: 129 ✭✭
    edited 22 March, 2015
    He's still not back and I have pounded the pavement looking for him. I've posted huge signs on stop signs and put flyers on doors of homes all over the place in about a five mile area. I'm worried to death. He's my little buddy. We do have a lot of strays out here and I've set food outside and it was gone but I'm sure it was a cat that I don't know. I sat Bo's teddy bear and a can of food on the table in the backyard but it was all there the following morning. Now it has been raining for three days and that's made the searching harder. I walk with a cup of his treats and wear a jacket that he always liked to sleep on. Animal Control has been trying to help me look and they're not even having any luck. I do transports for animals out of kill shelters so I have a lot of people trying to help and we're just coming up with nothing. The thought of him being out there, scared and hungry, is literally ripping my heart out.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March, 2015
    Are there trees in your area? Have you looked up? If something scared him, he may have climbed a tree and is having trouble coming down. Would he answer if he heard your call? Try going out late at night .... late, like after midnight or even later when it is very quiet. Call him and listen for his answering meow.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 March, 2015
    I hope you find Bo. Here's some ideas from other Catsters on what you can try....http://www.catster.com/forums/group/thread/523240 if the link doesn't work there maybe a gap in the title. if you remove them then press enter it should work, It's for a group here on Catster the purrs and woofs for the missing. have a look around in the links and in the threads. there's heaps of ideas. I wish you all the best.
  • Darla DunnDarla Dunn DeSotoMember Posts: 129 ✭✭
    edited 3 April, 2015
    It's been over 2 weeks now. I visit the shelter twice a day, have put out over 150 flyers, contacted the company the microchip is through, walk a six mile radius at all hours of the night and first thing right before the sun comes up. And still no Bo. The shelter keeps telling me that two weeks isn't a long time at all, but I need him back. I hung a jacket that he loves to sleep on and his blanket outside in the tree so the wind blows the scent. I put out his favorite food and treats daily. I use a spotlight at night in hopes of seeing cat eyes and have only seen them once and it was a stray I've never seen before. He was feral before the shelter picked him up but he was such a mamas boy since I got him. He followed me around, never letting me out of his sight and went to sleep with his head on my shoulder each night. I just don't know what else to do. I'm getting about two hours of sleep a day because I'm always looking for him. I spent hours a day checking flyers to make sure they're still there and walking alleys and checking storm drains. Everyone says he'll come back when he's ready. I'm ready for him to come home. I'm heartbroken.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 April, 2015
    If he started out as a feral he may have enough "street smarts" to be out there -- probably like you said, with a girlfriend. All you can do, you're already doing, so, hopefully, he'll come back to you. We're purring for you. |:|
  • Alek J-Alek J- La Serena, CLMember Posts: 1
    edited 20 April, 2015
    I'm so sorry to hear that! :(( Cats will often leave a short time to mate and take care of the babies, so you can expect him to be gone for 3-4 weeks, and that's when they're feral. just don't loose hope, be patient, and if he doesn't come back in a few weeks, you can start getting worried then. Take care!:-h