Strange Cat Behavior - Fighting/Hunting

Nichole BrossaNichole Brossa Member Posts: 2
edited 10 July, 2015 in Behavior & Training
So I have a strange problem I am not sure how to handle. I live in a big neighborhood where unfortunately many people abandon their cats here. I have been feeding many of the strays outside and taking some to the vet as I am able. Two of the more friendly ones I have named and claim them as my own: Pumpkin, a small female with orange/black spots and Mootah, an old male with long white fur. The two of them have been inseparable for quite a while. Maybe a week ago my husband noticed Pumpkin attacking Mootah and chasing him around the yard. We shooed her and tried to get her to stop. It seemed harmless, just like she wanted him to leave her alone, so we didn't think anything of it. 2 days ago both of them disappeared. We looked everywhere around the neighborhood and the pound. I happened to hear them fighting yesterday under the house. My husband went outside and they both came out, but Mootah seemed really weird. He was like hunting Pumpkin and wouldn't leave her alone. My husband tried to catch Pumpkin, but she ran back under the house and Mootah followed. So all we hear now is the two of them fighting randomly under the house and we can't get them to come out. I have put food near the hole under the house and they will not eat it. Something is really wrong and I can't get them to come out. I know Mootah doesn't have rabies, I took him to the vet maybe 4 weeks ago for his vaccine. Pumpkin I haven't had a chance to take yet, so I don't know. I'm very concerned and I have no clue what is causing this. Do any of you know what might be the issue or what I can do to get them out? The back of my house smells strongly of spray, so I thought it might be a scent issue. I thought if I could get them to come out, I would grab pumpkin and bring her inside for a day or two to let the scents reset. I am just not sure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Nichole BrossaNichole Brossa Member Posts: 2
    edited 10 July, 2015
    Update: My husband and I just went outside and both of them have come out. I think Mootah is hurt. He keeps howling and will not let us come near him. My husband closed up the hole. They were both dehydrated and drank water for like 10 minutes. Poor guys. We are going to try and catch Mootah to take him to the vet. He has no visible signs of injury, but there must be something wrong for him to be acting this way.
  • Jessica ColganJessica Colgan Member Posts: 3
    edited 10 July, 2015
    Wow how stressful! I'm glad to hear you've gotten them out! Have they both been spayed/neutered yet? Intact cats are more likely to fight. Have there been any new cats in your colony? Perhaps a new cat or two is upsetting the group hierarchy? I think your plan to keep the girl inside for a while and visit a vet seems solid. Best of luck; I wish I had more ideas.