food good for kidneys

Tracey TaylorTracey Taylor Member Posts: 53
edited 15 November, 2015 in Food & Nutrition
My kidney level is a tad high due to thyroid medicine and age...any recommendations on food or supplements to help support my kidneys? purrs

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 23 October, 2015
    Moisture is the most critical thing - make sure your cat is on a wet food diet with water added for extra fluids. Also, the food should be low phosphorus. There are food charts that show phosphorus levels, or you can add a phosphorus binder to food. Recent studies show that the diet should NOT be low protein. The old belief was that low protein diets helped and many vets are not current on the new studies. Join a good CRF group and you'll get lots of good advice.
  • Catherine BogartCatherine Bogart San JoseMember Posts: 767
    edited 31 October, 2015
    I'm a vet tech, and I was coming in to say pretty much exactly what BK said. Low protein is no longer the recommendation, moisture is key. My old renal failure kitty was happy to eat his canned food mixed with warm water to make a slurry, so that's what he got and it seemed to help.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 November, 2015
    Interesting:-k