bladder stone surgery

edited April 2016 in Cat Health
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience with bladder stone surgery. I recently noticed that my kitty is peeing blood and the vet determined through the X-ray that she has a bladder stone and surgery is the way to remove it. While it is a routine surgery, it is pretty invasive. So I was wondering if anyone had experience with going through this.

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount Olive ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I've never had this experience with any of my cats. Is the surgery scheduled? How old is your cat? Did the vet say what caused the stones? Were the stones caused by certain food? Someone else who has had experience with this situation will probably answer but be sure to keep us posted.
  • edited April 2016
    I haven't scheduled it yet. Eava is 4. The surgery seems so invasive. But then neutering is too I guess...
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New Zealand ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Yes Mr D has had blockages removed from both his Ureters (the lines that go from the kidneys to the bladder) and then he had the PU surgery. Where are the bladder stones? Are they only in the bladder or in the kidneys too? and do you know what kind they are. One thing that is good if they do remove them, they can be tested. Then you will know what you are dealing with, and how you can treat it. Also if they are too big they can block the system. I'm in no way an expert as I'm also finding it's trial and error. Questioning..... is it a good idea, what is the best outcome for your kitty. Mr D also has a stone in the bladder. Not sure at what stage it got there but it was picked up in the follow up ultrasound after the other surgery. We will only monitor it at this stage. I think he has bigger fish to fry at the moment. It's now been a year since he had all the surgeries, He seems really happy and like a normal kitty. I know he has something else now. But I won't full up your post with it. I understand your questions, and I agree surgery is a worry but also might be lifesaving too. All the best with it. Purrs from our family.
  • edited April 2016
    So for now she will be on Hill's s/d diet and antibiotics and then we will see if the stone is gone. If not than surgery is back on the table. I really hope it will be dissolved with diet....