Natural Way to Get Rid of Fleas

edited May 2016 in Cat Health
Hi, I'm trying to find a natural way to get rid of fleas. I bought some brewer's yeast as I've read fleas hate yeast. I put a teaspoon in my cat's food as directed but my cat refused to eat it. Maybe because it's a powder and she didn't like the texture. Has anyone heard of it working if you put the yeast in the litter box? I've tried lavender also. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount Olive ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Welcome to Catster, Mulan. :w) I don't know of any natural products that will eliminate fleas, especially because the flea goes through three stages in its life: egg, larva, adult. Products such as Advantage, sold by veterinarians are the safest and most efficient. Over-the-counter products have been known to kill cats along with the fleas. I don't know how putting yeast in the litterbox would help in killing fleas.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / Chicago ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I don't know of any natural products that are for sure safe to use on a cat, but for rugs and bedding you can try food grade diatomaceous earth. It's natural and non-toxic, but you should still use care to make sure it doesn't get inhaled or get in the eyes. Diatomaceous Earth for Flea Control
  • edited May 2016
    Thanks to you'll for your advice. Advantage and Revolution stopped working. I tried Cheristen which got good reviews but my cat is so afraid of flea medicine. Forget pills. It's impossible. I have to sneak up on Mulan when he's asleep. But he's too smart. That's why I was hoping to try something else. I was able to put a pinch of Brewer's Yeast in their food tonight, even though directions say a teaspoon (wouldn't eat last time). They all ate except for one of my cats. I am hoping it works. I hate to see my furbabies suffering.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount Olive ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I have used Advantage for many years and it is still effective on my cats. They do hate it being put on them, though, because of the strong smell, plus I think the spot where the liquid is put makes it tickle/itch. I use a comb for a few short strokes to relieve that itchy feeling. Have you checked with your vet? Prescription products such as Nexgard, Frontline, Vectra, Comfortis may be something your vet can recommend.