I feed a stray cat on my porch. He had an abscess and it popped. Now he has this huge open wound on

He will not go to the vet. We have tried several times. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    This is a touchy situation. Have you tried to trap the cat with a "drop-trap"? This is usually a good way to trap a cat. Put the food in the back of the trap and leave a 'trail' of food leading out of the trap and by the door of the trap. I've never known of a cat who could resist that. Your animal warden probably has one to loan you. If he's hungry enough, you may be able to get an all-purpose antibiotic from your vet and put it in his food for the wound. You'll need to put it in wet food, tuna or even some cooked chicken or hamburger to entice him to eat it. If you do trap him, keep him away from your own animals if you have any. And make sure your vet is used to handling wild (feral) kitties because they can be dangerous when trapped. You can also contact a local shelter or humane rescue to help out. Those people know ALL the tricks of "the trade". Please let us know how it works out for you.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree that you should maybe contact a rescue group that deals in feral cats. They do have the equipment and the know-how to get this sweet baby the help he needs.
  • Karen MordenKaren Morden Port HuronMember Posts: 1,174
    Accepted Answer
    Ferrel cats are not good placement cats,they shold stay where they are.If you can trap him get him neutered and such then let him back out and continue to feed him that is the best way.Otherwise he will be put to sleep when taken in by a rescue because he is not placable. I have a mom cat that appeared here one day and had babies under my deck.She is 100% ferrel and if you get between her and her kittens she will attack.Trust me I found out the hard way. So we trapped the cat and got her spayed and are in the process of catching the kittens to get them taken care of and see if they can be homed.the mom I have let back out and continue to put food out for them.She would never be placed,she would be put to sleep because she is mean as hell!
  • Marye PearceMarye Pearce AlexandriaMember Posts: 26
    Accepted Answer
    Get a Live Animal Cat Trap. They are cages that have a pad on the inside(put food on the inside so it will be attracted to the food in the cage)it will not hurt the cat it just closes when he steps on the pad. The door closes behind him.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    Accepted Answer
    I'm offended by Chubby's post...SOME feral cats can't be placed, not all. Hunter was 100% feral, would not let us anywhere near him and spent the whole first day after we caught him trying to jump out of the window. It took us more than 2 months to get him to let us touch him. Some feral cats will adapt well to particular humans with time and patience, others wont. We've had Hunter for almost a year and he sleeps with me but he only likes to be petted when he's in a place where he feels safe and doesn't like new people. Despite his little quirks and how easily scared and timid he can be, he is a wonderful loving companion. Anyway, if I understand your post correctly what you're asking i how to treat his wound. I would find a vet who treats ferals, let them know that you might need to bring him in on short notice, catch him in the humane cage, NOT LET HIM OUT, and take him to the vet ASAP. You can get a humane catch cage from the SPCA.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Dear Guest, there are TNR (trap-neuter-release) groups all over the country, so there has to be one or two near you. They may be able to lend you a trap and help you set it up. Then you can get the stray kitty to the vet and go from there. Because their goal is to neuter and release, these groups will not talk you into destroying the kitty, I promise. I resent the implication that just because stray kitty does not let himself be handled to be taken to the vet, that means that he would be destroyed. It's possible that he is just really scared because he is hurting, so of course he doesn't want to be held or touched. Since you already tried to trap him, he may have become more skittish about getting close. Here is where TNR rescuers are invaluable, they have the expertise to give you tips that work because they've dealt with this situation before. Worst case scenario, they can tell you how to create a makeshift shelter for him that he could use to recuperate by himself.
  • Amber AmidzichAmber Amidzich Pocatello, IDMember Posts: 155
    Accepted Answer
    Hi there - I don't know where you're located, but if you're in the DC/MD/Northern VA area, Pawmail me and we can talk about getting your little monster caught, my no-kill org can help. :) thanks! Seamus' meowmie