Other American Ringtail cats in California?

I adopted our cat last year from the local animal shelter. He has the markings of a typical short hair, brown tabby with the spots and stripes. I did not notice until we got him home that his tail almost looked genetically defective as he carries it like a husky dog curled over or sometimes lays it flat against his back. I thought it was a bit odd and did a search on the net and saw this is a trait of a cat called American Ringtail breed in Northern California back in 1998 or 1999. His hind legs are a bit longer than his front and was easily trainable and very affectionate. He will come, sit, lay down, roll-over, shake and high-5 so far. He will follow me around the house like a dog . He is vocal at times and has a good temperament. I have not heard or seen anyone around my area with another cat like this and the American Ringtail website does not seem to show any current activity and does not reply when contacted. So I was just curious if anyone else has a little gem like mine.

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Streetsboro
    Accepted Answer
    All of us on this site think our cats are "gems"! Your cat sounds like he might have some Maine Coon in him as he behaves like my Izzie does. One place you can go for reliable information is Cat Fancy magazine. (I believe they also have a website). There is a list of breeders at the back of each issue, and I know that if you wrote to this magazine, someone there will answer. Join Catster and post a profile for your little guy...he sounds like a love!