Hi my cat is an indoor cat but recently he has learned how to pop the window screens out and even op

Hi my cat is an indoor cat but recently he has learned how to pop the window screens out and even open up closed windows in certain cases. We try our best to be diligent about locking the windows when we go to bed or leave the house. But now he's gotten so brazen that he will sneak out the window when we are in the same room! I know he just goes around and smells then he tries to re-enter and is unable. He ends up meowing to notify us he wants to come back in. He knows he is not supposed to go outside. When I see him on the window sill I snap my fingers and he runs off. I just need some ideas to prevent him from doing this. Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It's a case of "the grass looks greener" to your cat. Once he's out, he decides it's not so much fun, but he's going to keep trying. Lily was a Warrior Woman about trying to get out, but she was an outside cat that I adopted w/o knowing this. She chewed and tore through our screens and caused hundred of dollars of damage. First, make sure your cat is microchipped in case he expands his horizons. If you decide to get him a collar/tag, make sure it's a breakaway collar. Other than continuing to be diligent, perhaps playing with him more or purchasing a carpeted kitty condo for him to put in front of a window so he can watch "cat television" without trying to get outside, there really is no way to prevent him. Keeping an eye on him until he decides it's no fun to get yelled at every time he tries this behavior, there isn't much you can do.