My Lit'l Bit baby was diagnosed w/ a Neurological disorder-probably Brain Tumor. End of Sept 2011 co

I found Lit'l Bit crouching on the floor w/a dazed look(not responding 2 my voice/petting/holding him etc),shallow/fast breathing,not moving. Vet met us at clinic immediately,was diagnosed w/a possible seizure.Took several hours 4 Lit'l Bit 2 become alert,& breathing normal.Never occurred again. On Jan 1, 2012 Lit'l Bit had symptoms of: Unsteady/pacing/stumbled into walls when trying to walk,dazed/not alert/not responsive 2 anything(being checked over, etc)eating only canned food)not drinking water. Called my vet, said it could B another seizure; watch him the next 24 hrs. Lit'l Bit's symptoms worsened during the night. I took him 2 the ER vet hosp, which works w/my vet(didn't call my vet, he was very sick). Medical tests diagnosed a tumor N his brain. They asked if he'd had a head injury. I said no,but if it happened when I was sleeping or not home, how would I know? Looking back Lit'l Bit hadn't been lively/playing much 4 past 2 yrs-thought it was age, 11.5 yrs; or was it the tumor?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry you've had to go through this with your kitty. If he's gone to The Bridge (you didn't indicate in your question if he had) you have my deepest sympathies. Unfortunately, even if we were vets on this site, without a necropsy if Lit'l Bit has passed, there is no way of knowing exactly what Lit'l Bit's health concerns were or are. If Lit'l Bit is still with us, it would take extensive and very costly tests to know the cause of his behaviors. Usually though, when there is a sudden change in behavior, it means there is a health concern. He could have simply been slowing down with age, or it might have been his neurological issues. But it sounds like you were VERY proactive in trying to help Lit'l Bit. You did all you could. I'm sure he's very grateful, even if he's at The Bridge, for all you've done for him. Purrs and hugs...
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    I am so sorry you are going through this with Lit'l Bit. I had a cat (my first rescue) who started having seizures at age five years. The symptoms you describe are very similar. My cat would go into convulsions, wet herself, and be disoriented for at least one hour. She would immediately go to her food bowl and eat and drink after the seizure as if nothing had happened. Then she would quiet down within the hour and sleep for hours. This is very typical after seizures. My cat lived to be 11-1/2 years old. She passed away due to chronic renal failure and cancer. It sounds as though you are a good pet owner, and I'm sorry that your kitty has a brain tumor, which my cat did not have. Only your vet could give you a prognosis for your cat. Ask what you can do to keep your cat comfortable if there is nothing medically that can be done. Take good care!