Low Hemoglobin Count in cats due to parasites?

Hello I have two strictly indoor cats. Last week they were throwing up so off to the vet we went. Both got a wellness check up, weigh in, blood drawn and so forth. Lola my 8 yr old Tabby (only has one Kidney) had a high count of parasites (12 count instead of the 3 allowed) So she got a parasite shot. Mio my 6 yr old DSH had a parasite count of 5. Now he also had a somewhat lower Hemoglobin count of 10.6 instead of the allowed 11.5 Should I be worried? The vet told me to give him liver/chicken hearts or Felovite w/ B12 and Iron in it. She believes its because of the parasites. Which I think so too. Has anyone had this happen to their cat too? Also she told me to put them on Revolution which I am wary off. I think a heartworm medication would be better. (We live in the tropics...) Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• Denise AntleDenise Antle OhioMember Posts: 255
    Accepted Answer
    No parasite count should be no other # than 0. A tropical environment can produce parasites that live inside the body,are hard to detect and cure. I think your local vet is familiar with local parasitic dangers. But depending if your tropics are in Hawaii or Brazil domestic pet care experts vary in many ways. No matter 2nd options are prudent. Unless you have your pet checked for heart worms and has none heart worm medicine is a waste of money and time. Heart worms can be treated if found in time but the meds only prevent not cure oh yeah definitely feed organ meats and go with the B vitamins. Both. Sounds like a good vet. If this helps can me and m cat move in? We need tropical help