What is going on with my cat?

I don't know what is going on. My cat who I've had since she was 4 weeks never cared for me at all. She would go out of her way to avoid me. She is fixed(the moment she was old enough)and very cautious and hates others human and animals. She is 3 years old now and she suddenly has to be with me at all times and if she can't she claws at the door leaving marks and she howls. She kneads on me and lays if not on my belly then beside me. If I sit she has to be beside me or in my lap and if I get up and do not return fast enough she comes looking for me. She is also an indoor cat how I like and I am constantly looking at her food and water and litter box which I tend to daily. I am very confused since it was a love-hate relationship when we first met now it's like she is a totally different cat. I guess I should be happy I've always wanted an affectionate cat but this sudden change has me well bamboozled.