Help family member with cat problems. Health issues but owner wont do anything about them. I dont kn

I am 20 I live with my grandmother and my two aunts the room I share with my cousins frequently is a hangout for there two cats which wouldn't be a problem if the cats were well taken care of. however I can see they are not very healthy they seem to be very underweight and have issues eating. when I looked inside of their mouth that has sores and what appears to be gingivitis I don't know what to do now since my aunt doesn't seem to care. As we don't have a lot of money to even really take care of the cats. with that being said she refuses to get rid of the cats because she thinks her kids are attached to them. I have suggested a vet but I would have to foot the bill whereas I would simply get rid of them all together. I just don't know what to do now any suggestions? The cats are descended from feral cats and have issues with each other and with marking territory with in the household its just gross I'm torn between waiting for things to improve or taking things into my own hands.