Help introducing cats

Araya BishirAraya Bishir St. CloudMember Posts: 18
I got my first cat, Boots a year ago as a stray. He was neutered and declawed when I got him (thank god I didn't have to neuter but sad he's declawed).Now I took in my friend's cat, Lady Butterscotch because I didn't want to see her go to the shelter. She had a litter of kittens before, not spayed or declawed. The two cats act normal but Boots hates Lady. He meows and hisses at her if she gets close or looks at him. No fighting, Boots just slinks away after he is done being mean. Lady is indifferent to him when he's mean. When I tell him quiet or be nice he stops and slinks away. This morning I didn't see either of them for a while then I looked in the basement and they were in the same room (By choice apparently). They both seemed content with it. Does this sound like a normal cat introduction? What do I do to speed this up? Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like the two cats are working things out themselves. Do not try to speed things up. That would be pushing them into being uncomfortable with each other. Do things together that are pleasurable to both of them: 1) feeding with the cats at opposite ends of the room and gradually bring their plates closer together; 2) giving special food treats; 3) play time, making sure there are enough toys for both of them. And if Lady B isn't spayed that needs to be done.