Please help me to take the best care of my Cullen without upsetting him.

Any advice or tips welcome. My cat loves playing outside but he has injured his pelvis/leg and the vet has told me I have to keep him in 1 room for 4 weeks. I spent 2 days with him in my bedroom and the kids have taken it in turns with him in theirs but he's climbing the walls and scratching the doors. He's limping more because he's jumping up into the window sill and on the sofa,bed,draws..... So today I called the vet again and said he was jumping and also the kids forget to close the doors after them and he run out twice. The vet said that he needs absolute immobility in order to rest his leg/pelvis. He said I'm to put him in a cage. I borrowed a big dog cage with his food and water but he won't stop meowing and shaking. I hate that I have to do this because he's my boy and it's not fair but I want him to get better. I feel cruel. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this easier for him please.