FAQs on Profiles

CatsterAdminCatsterAdmin admin
edited November 13 in Getting Started

Welcome to our new community! Please find answers to some frequently asked questions below. Please note that the Catster and Dogster communities are still in Beta and we would love your user feedback! Please post any questions, concerns or suggestions for improvement in the We Want to Hear From You section.

Where are pet profiles?
You can create a pet profile by going to our Welcome Post. Fill out the form and tell the community a little bit about your pet. Upload some fun photos or videos of your best furry friend. You can update this post or add to it at any time, as well as search for similar pets. You can also edit your profile to have your pet's info by going to our Profile Extender.

NEW — you can VOTE to let us know if you would rather leave the Welcome Area as is OR rename it as Pet Profiles. Please vote and let us know what you think!

Wait, but what about my profile when I sign in?
The Profile area is just like your Account Info area on the OC (old Catster).
We suggest having your profile name encompass your whole family or all of your pets. Ex. Gabby_Merritt or maybe your name and CatsterAdmin_and_the Gang CatsterAdmin_and_the Group CatsterAdmin_and_Family or maybe your last name and Admin_Cats.

But where do I find my old profile info?

• Check out: http://web.archive.org/
  • Once you get to the page, type in your pet profile ID from the old site. For example: http://www.catster.com/cats/247639
  • This part of the URL stays the same for all Catster pet profiles: http://www.catster.com/cats/
  • And 247639 would be replaced by your unique pet ID number!
  • A calendar will appear. Click on one of the circled dates on the calendar. Preferably the most recent.
  • You will be taken to an archived page of your pet's profile.

And how would I save that info?

Don’t know your cat’s ID number?
You still might be able to find your cat’s profile.

• Type in your dog’s name + Catster + profile into Google. For ex, Fluffy + Catster + profile.
  • A few cats will come up with links that do not work anymore, BUT you can use this information to help find your cat’s profile.
  • For ex., this profile comes up when I search Fluffy: images.catster.com/cats/307061. So, my cat’s ID # is 307061
  • I then go to https://web.archive.org/
  • And type in catster.com/cats/307061
  • I then get this page: https://web.archive.org/web/20140209234109/catster.com/cats/307061
  • You can also try searching by the name of your pet’s DIARY.

Why is my profile now my name instead of my pet’s name?
Pet profiles are now under human usernames. Please go to the Welcome Post and tell the community a little bit about your pet. You can also change your username to your pet's name or a username that encompasses all of your pets, please see below.

What if I want to change my username?
You can change your username at any time! Simply go click your username in the upper right corner, click the green box "Me" button (green button with a person silhouette) and select EDIT PROFILE in the dropdown. You can now change your username to whatever you want!

Okay, but how can I add my pets to my user profile?
We have created a text field called Links to your pet’s profiles where we suggest you copy/paste links to all your pet’s profiles !

What if I want to sign off as a different pet?
We are working on solutions! For now, we suggest copy/pasting links to all your pets’ welcome profiles into your signature, and signing off as the pet you would like to be posting as.

Wait — how do I add a signature?

• Go to your profile.
  • Click on the green box at right top and click on Edit Profile menu on right hand side.
  • Click on Signature settings.
  • Write what you want in the box (you can change it any time).
  • Click Save!

Can I add groups to my profile?
We’ve added a field where you can copy paste links to all your groups in your profiles!

Can I give my furry friends a gift?
You can add an image, past a video, add a gif, etc. at any time!

How do I keep track of my friends?
Bookmark the Welcome Posts for any of your favorite friends!

Can I have multiple accounts with the same email?
You will need a new email with each account you create.

Is my login for Catster and Dogster the same?
Catster and Dogster now have separate logins.

Comments

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New Zealand ✭✭✭

I went there and realised it's the wayback machine but anyway it'll be good to have links here.

• Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angeles ✭✭✭

a lot of us saved on the wayback machine on our own. Are you saying that if we follow your instructions that you guys saved our profiles there during the transition?

Kitty Pryde and Jack

• @Kitty_Pryde_and_Jack we did not save profiles on there recently, but I'm not sure what previous Catster/Dogster staffers may have done. If I try random ID numbers, they seem to show up.

• CalvinCalvin Scottsdale ✭✭✭

@Kitty_Pryde_and_Jack - the entire Catster site was saved by the old staff before everything was deleted. It is all on the Wayback Machine, but only can be used as a visual. Please go to Catster Buddies on Facebook where I've left an explanation on what we've discovered by playing around here. I'll post it here too for the @CatsterAdmin,

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

@CatsterAdmin - I'm not sure how much exploring you did on our old Catster site which might be part of the frustration/confusion we are feeling. You actually have some things set up similar to our old site. I've tried to explain that in the following (which I left in a FB group where many Catsters participate):

1. The Profile you see when you log in - that is currently in the human name unless you have already changed it. That Profile is just like our "Account Info area" on the OC (old Catster). EXCEPT - it isn't hidden like it was on the OC. We can suggest that the main Profile be private only seen by us and the Catster Admin.

1. The Welcome area - which is poorly named and I've suggested they change it to Pet Profile or something similar - that area is similar to our individual cat pages we had at OC. Right now, people don't know how to use that area, so they need to clean it up and rename it. Basically, you can post pictures (more than one), and you can use the "Comment" area as a type of diary. It's not a perfect fit yet, but we've made suggestions to allow comments to be left under a Main Comment (similar to how we left comments on diary entries at the OC).

2. If you go to the Welcome Area - look for my cats (right now I have them all lumped in one, but I could separate and have a separate profile for each cat). Look for The Cats in the Clover. To the right of our name is an "open" star. If you click on that star, it Bookmarks it. Then if you look in the very top right on the bar at the top, you'll see a star. Click on that, and you will see every cat you have bookmarked. This is similar to our Friends List on the OC.

3. At the top menu bar is a "Globe" - that is the Notification area. It lights up when there is something new - either someone left a comment, posted on your wall, etc. When you click on the Globe, you'll see all those notifications and you can click on any one of them to take you to that comment, post, etc.

4. If you look on the right side of the page, you will see a link to Groups. When you click on that you'll see Your Groups, New Groups, and Popular Groups. Much needs to be done regarding the mess that it is right now because whoever is set up in your main Profile is now the admin of any/all groups you might have had on the OC. Groups still need a way for us to change the Admin to the cat who was the original Admin on the group.

The Cats in the Clover

• Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angeles ✭✭✭

@Calvin thanks-I saved everything myself and panicked because I thought maybe they saved something else somehow!

Kitty Pryde and Jack

• Hey @Calvin

Thanks! Sorry this got buried. You’re right — I didn’t have the opportunity to do much exploring on the old Catster (I like that you call it the OC!) so any insight you have would be wonderful.

1. I can add something about this to the FAQ to make it clearer.
    2. I’m allowing users to vote on what we call The Welcome Area. Right now, I haven’t gotten much feedback! I can add that part about this being similar to diaries.
    3. Good idea re: Bookmarking your friends in lieu of a Friends list.
    4. Good idea to add something on the Globe.
    5. We will let you know if you’re able to change the admins of groups to individual cats.

Please let me know if there's anything else :)

• The_Desert_KittiesThe_Desert_Kitties Vail ✭✭✭

Thanks admin. and Calvin, good ideas, I was going to ask about the same things.
    I do think having individual pages for each of our pets, diaries would make a lot of us happy. Also we all have one email, not a different one for each pet, kumo each of us a family so we can add all our babies. Also being able to request friends is a better way, the bookmark is a nice touch but maybe they do or don't want to be friends.
    As for decorating our pages that was special, we all loved being able to express ourselves for each pet, like now everyone would to ????.
    Just hope in time we can all get it nit all some of our requests.
    ????

The Desert Kitties
    Kody, Tu Two, Xena, Angels QT, Kandi and Zeke

• Dori SchuhDori Schuh Springfield ✭✭

Wish I knew my cats id numbers. :(

• Josh PhillipsJosh Phillips Harrison ✭✭

Not only have I lost my ID number, but I've now lost all the info on my cats, including the info on two cats that have passed. Whatever reason Catster had to delete all this info is only equaled by my need to visit this new iteration ever again. Thanks a lot.

@Dori Schuh, @Josh Phillips - all the info on your old Catster pages can still be seen at the Wayback Machine. You need to know your Catster ID#. Or if you know if you were friends with me or a cat I know, I could find you on my friend list over at the Wayback Machine. Who were your cats?

The Cats in the Clover