Why is my cat howling and how can I stop it?

Charlie is my furbaby and I love him very very much and want nothing but the best for him, but I'm at a loss right now. Charlie keeps howling very loudly at all hours of the day and night. Now, when I took him to the vet in the beginning of September for a different reason I did bring it up and the vet suggested trying Sulloquin, a behavioral health supplement, so I did. It was simple, 2 chews a day, but Charlie decided that after almost a week of the supplement that he wasn't going to take it anymore and started howling again. The only time I can get him to not howl is when he's laying in bed with me cuddling or sleeping. I tried keeping him in my room at night with me but at about 3 or 4 he will wake up and start running back and forth across the bed over me and my boyfriend until I finally get up and let him out, and then he starts howling as soon as he gets downstairs. Keep in mind, he is neutered and has never been bred. He is a strictly inside cat and is afraid of outside. We also have 3 other cats who are all fixed and much older than him. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point. Please help?!

Answers

• ÆthelingÆtheling ✭✭✭

Hello, Breezie and Charlie and furmily, nice to meet you! :smile:
    Can you hide the supplements in canned cat food or tuna or baby food or something like that?
    For my pup, my typist rolls up little balls of canned dog food, the hand-feeds him a couple pill-free balls, slips in a ball with the pill, and quickly follows with pill-free balls. He has no idea he ate a pill.
    You can cut a pill in half if it's too big to sneak in.
    Maybe call back the vet, and tell him the supplement worked, but Charlie won't take it, and ask for some other suggestions as to what you can do?
    I know the smart kitties here will have some ideas to help you.

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / Chicago ✭✭✭

I agree with talking with the vet. There may be some equivalent supplements that Charlie will like better.

Have you tried any of the over-the-counter calming products already? Our family has had some luck with Feliway (which worked with some of the cats) and Bach's Rescue Remedy Pets (which worked better with others). You can get Feliway with a diffuser or as a spray. Rescue Remedy comes as a liquid which you can use by adding a couple drops to the water dish. I'm sure others can suggest other products to try, too!

Good luck! Keep us posted! <3