Siamese Mix Peeing All Over House

Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
edited 4 June, 2011 in Behavior & Training
Anyone have pointers on how to help Meowm? One of us is peeing on various soft spots throughout the house- any doormats, blankets, beds, have been soiled. Yes, she's been cleared by the vet (urinalysis AND full CBC bloodwork) and exam, he said it was "stress." It started a month ago, and was exacerbated when we brought 3 healthy foster kittens in. They've since been adopted, but one is left. She gets along great with the last kitten, but she is still peeing... I think it may be a Meezer "I need attention" thing, but she is a Meezer mutt, not a purebred. She's also not obvious about her needs- barely meows, doesn't act out in any other ways, and won't even so much as nudge you if she really wants attention-- very subtle and sensitive. We will NEVER give up on our furbies and never have, but we do need ideas on what to try to discourage this peeing issue, as we can't have any beds or blankets out anymore (we do have other furbies), b/c of this, plus the constant cleaning and clearing out the smell. We just purchased bedwetting duvet covers too! lol Tabitha's Meowm

Comments

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2011
    Have you tried any pheromone or flower essence products like Feliway, Rescue Remedy, Calming Collars, etc? A lot kitties suffering from stress can really benefit from some these. It does depend on the cat, though. If none of these OTC remedies help, you could (and I know this is controversial) talk to your vet about an anti-anxiety medication. Since the source of her stress (the kittens) is basically gone, she might be able to take the medicine short term while she's getting used to using the litter box again, then be weaned off. Of course, any time a kitty develops a litter box avoidance habit, it's always good to encourage proper usage with lots of positive reinforcement! =;
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 1 June, 2011
    Might be 'passive cat syndrome' but don't rule out undiagnosed health issues. Get a second vet opinion-sometimes things like thyroid can do this too. Passive cat syndrome-a kitty mommy had before us had it. He began peeing and pooping outside the box. Mommy had to give him his own box and food and water dishes away from the other cats. It worked and he went back to using the box.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 1 June, 2011
    Try Cat Attract litter =; It works to retrain a cat to use the litter box. PetSmart sells it. Use an enzyme cleaner to completely remone urine stains. Nature's Miracle is one brand. It also wouldn't hurt to get a second vet opinion.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 3 June, 2011
    If nothing else works, would you consider putting your kitty in a diaper? Our friend Priscilla wore a diaper before she went to the bridge because she had a behavioral peeing problem. The diaper saved Mom and Dad the aggravation of having to find and clean all the places Priscilla peed and it allowed Priscilla to have free roam of the house (as opposed to being confined to one room).
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 3 June, 2011
    This article might help. All litterbox issues in one place. Good luck! http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox
  • Nicole FNicole F Member Posts: 23
    edited 4 June, 2011
    First of all I am sorry you are going through this as its extremely frustrating and unpleasent. I have lived with a peeing cat for 7 years now and I would never no matter what the problem be able to just give up my cat. Believe me I have tried EVERYTHING. I agree that it is likely the stress of the kittens being braught in and cats who pee out of the litter box are often trying to claim their territory. This is actually a very normal behavior especially in multi cat homes or homes with children. In the wild cats do this all the time but now that we have domesticated them its one of their natural instincts we would rather live without. Since the peeing started when the new kittens came than its pretty easy to assume this is a territorial issue. I cat tell you all the measures I have taken over the last 7 years but I warn you some are very drastic and costly but I am happy to report that I have reduced my cats pee incidents from an almost daily occurance to just a few times a month. First the easier less expensive things to try: -Take a count of how many litter boxes do you have. There should be a minimum of one litter box per cat. Cats often like to have their own litter box with their own smell. Before I was using one box for two cats. When I added the 2nd box the peeing cat went right to it and now pees in it daily and the peeing out of box incidents greatly reduced. - You can try a litter called Cat Attract. For me this did not seem to help but for many people it does so its worth a try. - You cat try calming agents. Feliway, calming treats/gels/drops. This seems to help about 50/50% of the time. These things often make the peeing cat feel less stress and less stress = less peeing accidents. -If your cat is peeing on furnature/beds than you have to either cut them off from those rooms or prevent them from going on the furnature. I do not allow my peeing cat in any bedrooms unsupervised and I keep her off furnature. I found most effective a device called "Tattle Tale". You place it on the piece of furnature and when the cat jumps up and motion is detected a very loud buzzing sounds occurs and this scares the cat and the cat jumps off. This was very effective for me to keep my cat off the sofa were she peed many times before. There is also a device called scat mats but I found these to break/stop working after a short time and they are quite expensive. I liked the tattle tale better. - Eliminate the things she likes to pee on. My cat seemed to prefere to pee on things that were fabric/soft. So we have to be very careful not to leave clothing or towels on the floors. I had to remove all cat beds because she would pee in those. I had to remove the cusions off our table chairs. No blankets laying around. I think you get the picture. If the things she likes to pee on are cut off from her or not around than she cant pee on them. -Shower curtains work great for covering areas that are frequently peed on. I know it doesnt look great but its better than the smell of cat pee. - I can tell you there is not a single cleaner that will eliminate cat pee smell 100% and Ive tried a billion. What I actually found that got the smell out best was if you can wash the peed on item in the washing machine with very strong scented detergent and use a lot. Wash twice if needed. After washing most of the time I could detect no cat pee smell on the item. -Give your cat extra attention and catnip toys. Now the expensive things we have done: - All carpet except in bedrooms is gone and replaced with hardwood and tile. She rarely pees on hard surfaces but when she does its much easier to clean and you can get all the smell out much easier. - You should add cat trees if you do not already have a few. Especially when their are multiple cat this gives them more territory space. - I turned my balcony into an outdoor area for my cat and added a litter box out there. I lined the whole edge of the balcony with trees and shrubs in large wood planters to give her the feel of being in nature. This gives her more territory space and her peeing also reduced after she was allowed in her new balcony space. - If your furnature has been peed on a lot than Im sorry to say it will likely smell forever. Once the item smells the cat will keep peeing there. You may have to replace the piece of furnature and use the alarms on the new furnature and cover with plastic until you are 100% sure she will not pee there again. - Worse case if you absolutly can not get her to stop the peeing you may want to consider medication such as prozac. I know it sounds extreme but many cats have finally stopped peeing only after medication. I have not done it myself as I have been able to dramatically reduce my cats incidents to a level I can accept but in the past when she was worse I was considering medication and I researched it a lot. I would only consider it as a last resort. Im sure there are more things I have tried but this is what I can think of now. Its a headache I know. The trick is to finding the thing or two wich helps most. It may take a lot of trial and error but you should eventually be able to find something wich helps so dont give up. You also might want to re-consider bringing other kitties into the home again as it seems your cat's personality is of territorial type and you don't want the problem to get even worse. Good Luck!