18mth old male cat soiling

Lisa RubyLisa Ruby Member Posts: 2
edited 28 February, 2014 in Behavior & Training
hi my cat Jess has been with us since he strayed to our front door on a rainy august night. he was around 6-8wks old. he took to us like he was always here and we grew to love him. he has been an indoor/outdoor cat since then. he has never used a litter tray as when he was a kitten he treated it as a plaything and once we removed it he was happy to go outside and that was that. he is locked in every night and goes in and out all day long. this past week he has been soiling the floor at night, its only happened twice. he is healthy and eating normally and doesnt seem to be unhealthy in any way. is this a behavioral problem and what should i do? he is neutered since 6mths.

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 28 February, 2014
    The best website I've found with all the reasons cats go out of the box is this one: http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox Good luck - there's nothing worse than this!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February, 2014
    Inappropriate elimination should always be checked by a vet to rule out a health problem as a cause. It does sound like he might just be having a problem holding it all night, though. You might try offering a litter box again. If he tends to go in a certain spot, try putting the box there so he'll get the right idea. Good luck! Keep us posted. |:|