Please Help

I have a relative (immediate family) who keeps cats. She says that she only keeps three cats in her home full time. However last time I visited I saw five or so cats. There are also many feral cats in her drive way and back yard. The cats to my knowledge are not malnourished nor are there dead cats, however the smell of cat urine is so strong that as you approach the door to the house you are able to smell it. When I was inside of her house it was hard for me to breathe. I’m not a nitpicky person with a sensitive nose either (I have a weak sense of smell due to sinus problems). When she visits her clothes smell of cats. When the cats have kittens she brings them into the house. She is trying to spay all of the cats and a local veterinarian agreed to do so at a reduced cost (I’ve also offered money to help). She has agreed to let me and another relative take the cats to a shelter and to let me assist her in cleaning the house. I’m not sure what else I can do. This isn’t the first time I’ve noticed this behavior in her, at one point she had nearly 50 guinea pigs. I know she won’t do counseling but I’m not sure how else to keep her from sliding back into this pattern. It’s so bad I will not let my child visit her home even with me due to hygiene concerns. Please help.

Comments

• Kara DickmanKara Dickman Middle of No Where ✭✭
    edited 30 October, 2014
    Is this person over 65?
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz
    edited 8 November, 2014
    The best thing is to try & get as many spayed/neutered/placed as you can. Is there any social work type of program near her that may help? If she will let you take them to clean the house, that may be the best thing. Contact a local rescue, they might be able to help you too. Best of luck - it is a tough situation.