Kitten at uni?

How much of a bad idea is it to get a kitten while staying in a student house in my 2nd year of uni? Last year I was only in lectures for 6 hours a week so I don't expect to be out of the house much, but the one thing I'm mostly concerned about is the costs, obviously being on a student budget.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lot
    edited 5 August, 2014
    Kittens have tons of energy and needs lots of playtime. And they are mischievious and can get into all sorts of trouble when you're not around So no, I don't recommend a kitten :? Are you in a dorm? Many dorm rooms are tiny, unless you go to an expensive college/university that has brand new spacious dorms or upgraded exisitng ones. A kitten or adult cat will not do well in a dorm room. Many dorms and other college/univesrisity owned housing do not allow pets at all. You could get into serious trouble if someone tells a college/univeristy housing offical about the "illegal" cat. Off-campus housing is different but you'd have to check with the landlord about the pet policy. Budget-wise, it might be hard for a student. The main costs are food, litter, and vet bills. Chaeper is not always better, IMO. May I suggset volunteering your time at a local animal shelter or rescue instead? You'll be around cats and other pets of all ages and get to care for them. And it's free :) Or maybe you could do some pet sitting on the side. If you are dead set on having your own pet, I suggest a small furry like a hamster or guinea pig or something similar that lives in a cage/tank and only needs maybe once or twice daily supervised playtime outside of the cage/tank. There are still costs for supplies and vet bills (yes, even small furries need vet care on occasion) but they're generally pretty doable for a shoe string budget. Before getting any pet, read up on how to care for the pet properly =;
  • edited 7 September, 2014
    Don't do it. I've been a uni lecturer for 28 years I've seen shared houses and the mess and noise and the parties. I would say it's unfair to the cat in all honesty. Get a hamster! And what happens when you move out? Cats don't like change that much
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz
    edited 2 October, 2014
    There are so many that get left behind when students move out or graduate - I would try doing some volunteer work at a shelter. This way you can get your kitty fix, and you are helping the shelter out, while saving your budget. Create a kitty-fund, to save up for when school is done and you can give a kitty the time & space they deserve. I don't mean to sound snobby, but this way you wouldn't have to worry if you are running late, or need to travel or anything. Shelter kitties (& pups) need love too.
  • edited 20 December, 2014
    I won’t recommended it.
  • edited 20 December, 2014
    I wouldn't recommend it, that’s after if the student house allow you have a pet which I doubt, owning a cat can be demanding financially and require a good and well planned commitment from the owner so the pet doesn’t suffer, also it may distract you from your studying.