Love bites?

Schagne VenterSchagne Venter Member Posts: 22
edited 28 September, 2015 in Behavior & Training
I have several cats and they all love sleeping on top of me. Bonbon has always had her own unique way of waking me up for attention, which is a soft but quite definite tap against my cheek. Lately, however, she will give my hand several soft little nibbles if I stop petting her. If I put my hand under the blankets she will nibble any other area she can reach. Pumpkin has now started doing the same thing. It doesn't hurt but it's definitely a kind of bite. Is this normal and could Pumpkin be learning it from Bonbon? Bonbon is a very touchy-feely cat. She loves to get attention by patting you with a paw but this is a new behaviour. Cute but not when I'm trying to sleep. Does anyone else's cat give them love bites?

• Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 September, 2015
    Jerry gives love bites--hard ones! :-O He only does it when he's being super affectionate, which also includes when I'm sleeping. He'll crawl onto my chest, purring his head off, and sink his teeth in anywhere he can find exposed skin. One of his favorite places to latch on is the underside of my arm, since I tend to sleep with my arms up over the pillow. I wind up with little bruises there that I call "kitten hickeys." :f