New Puppy = Very Angry Cats

edited 25 February, 2016 in Behavior & Training
My family and I got a new puppy ( a shih tau) in November. Since Ollie's (our puppy) arrival we have been dealing with two very angry cats. Charlie, his ears go right back as soon as Ollie is near, he hisses and swats at the puppy. More often then not he will hide once he see's the puppy coming. Rory growls,hisses, swats, chases the puppy and generally sounds really really angry any time the puppy is anywhere near her. She often will go after the puppy if he is anywhere near her. The puppy can just walk by and she starts this awful growl. We've had the puppy since November and neither cat is any closer to accepting him. We have had a dog before, and both cats were perfectly fine with her. But she was an older dog and was here before either cat. Before she passed, Rory and Chloe (our dog that has since passed) used to play together and clean one another. Does anyone have any solutions or ideas on how we can get the cats and dog to live in the same house peacefully?

Comments

• SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount Olive ✭✭✭
    edited 16 February, 2016
    I really don't have an answer for you. I haven't had any problems introducing my cat(s) to a puppy. My only suggestion is to keep your puppy away from your cats and play with him until the cats finally accept him in the house. If your cats become aggressive, move them away from the pup.
  • edited 25 February, 2016
    I'm in a similar situation. My cats aren't angry but one hides from the puppy and the other is trying to get used to it. I don't know if this will help but here's what I suggest, if you haven't tried this already. Maybe try having the puppy's scent on your hands/clothing or even a toy and let the cat sniff it and keep doing that on a daily basis and maybe even let your puppy sniff something of the cats and see if that helps. And if that doesn't work, have a spray bottle of water ready and every time they hiss or get vicious spray them with water and if you have to, say "No! Be nice!" It may seems harsh but it sounds like they need to be taught that it's NOT okay to be mean. That's just me though. And I believe that pets understand us more than we know. And you can talk to them and be like, "Hey, this is your new sister. You be nice and she will be nice." :)) it may sound crazy but it might work. Good Luck!! =;