Home remedies for Feline UTI's?

Stephanie PavelStephanie Pavel WilmingtonMember Posts: 12
My cat has some kind of urinary issue. He had a urinalysis done late last night and we won;t know if its bacterial or otherwise for another 24 hours. He has pain meds from the vet, but is still straining to urinate and only making a small amount. While waiting for the results is there anything that I can do to help him get better?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    There isn't that I know of short of antibiotics and the vet needs to know what kind of bacteria is causing the infection/issue before he/she gives you meds. You can't force a cat to drink water and that's the only thing that "might" help. Maybe putting a heating pad on low for him or a hot water bottle if he'll lay on it? Don't give any aspirin, ibuprofens or Tylenol as that can cause fatal reactions.
  • Judy WilkinsJudy Wilkins MissionMember Posts: 162
    Accepted Answer
    Generally, if a male cat is straining to pee & little comes out, it's more likely to be a problem of blockage. He could have a UTI too but males are liable to blockages of the urethra (tube from bladder to penis) since it's much narrower in males. If he cannot pee, the urine can back up into the kidneys causing serious harm & possibly death. If he's making more urine & voiding little, this is considered a MEDICAL EMERGENCY. I'm surprised your vet let him go home like this! The vet can put in a catheter under a short-lasting anesthesia to relieve the pressure & prevent renal damage. No dry food but only canned for now. Add a little water stirred in to make a gravy. It dilutes the urine & is good for both infections & to prevent crystals forming. BUT if Rufus isn't peeing now, extra fluids may make it worse. Please get him to the vet for a catheter before permanent harm is done & let us know how things are going with him. Here's more: http://www.thecatconnection.com/care/urinary.htm