My himalayan recently has developed weepy eyes what can I do for them?

Best Answer

• Ruth SaundersRuth Saunders Member Posts: 139
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Mickey, You sure are beautiful! It's probably best for a Vet to determine what this is from & what needs to be done, but a common cause of weepy eyes is a virus- the rhinotracheitis virus, (also called the feline herpes). This is if the drainage is clear. And a treatment of this is Lysine, which can be purchased at health food store or is in the vitamin aisle of food stores. It's a completely safe amino acid. It is works by inhibiting the reproduction of the virus. If the drainage is green or yellow, this may indicate a bacterial infection. It could be other things as well- like allergies, or foreign object/scratch. Back to the Lysine, the usual dose is 250-500mg sprinkled on wet food once a day. If it's a tablet, just crush. Use until the drainage resolves or some people use indefinitely. This comon virus is often dormant in cats & surfaces with any stressor. A youngster kitty here, who I am a kitty mommy to, had eye drainage & conjuntivitis, & Lysine (from Vet) cleared it up.