My cat is about a year old has always used the litter box but for some reason the last couple weeks

Member Posts: 1
Nothing in our house has changed

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Whenever there is a sudden change in litterbox habits with no reason. No change in household, litter brand, litterbox location. Nothing you can think of that would upset the cat, then you need to call the vet. Going to the bathroom in a bad place is often the only way they can tell us that something is wrong with their health.
  • Kimberly MauleKimberly Maule Gig HarborMember Posts: 14
    Accepted Answer
    I used to work at a vet and I don't remember much, but I do remember answering this question quite a bit. You do need to get your cat to a vet. When cats stop using the litter box with no apparent reason, like Allie said, that is your cat's way of saying something is wrong. I would suggest that if you can, get a stool sample (poo). If you empty and clean out your litter box so there is nothing in it, if your cat urinates in it, try to get a sample of that as well. These are all things that the vet might have you do so they can test for issues. Often vets will be able to give you a collection kit for these items (a syringe to get the urine up and a cup for the stool sample.) Unless your cat has recently been de-clawed, not using the litter box means there is something wrong.