what kind of food do you need to feed the cat for their health

I want to cook cat food, do you know what kind of food can I give them? I feed them dry food, sometimes soft or can food, but it is so expensive, and I would like to make myself, any info, or books for that?

Best Answers

• Cady CalamityCady Calamity Member Posts: 214
    Accepted Answer
    Honestly, it is quite dangerous to make your own cat food without experience. They can have a small amount of plain boiled chicken (water, not broth; many seasonings can kill cats) every once in a while, but that should be no means be their main source of food. They need cat food, because those foods are specifically designed to get your cat the nutrients they need. I'm sorry if that isn't the answer you want to hear, but you have to keep their health in mind.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Accepted Answer
    Gere are some great sites to read catinfo.org and catnutrition.org We believe a high protein wet food that is grain free is the best thing you can give to your cat. Then there is Raw, but you really need to educate yourself before delving into feeding Raw. Some good wet foods are: Wellness grain free Wellness Core Evo cat and kitten Evo 95% Natures Variety. I do have alist of cheaper wet foods you can PM me if you would like that list.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    You have to make sure that you add the necessary things that a cat needs like Taurine. There are some groups in the Forums that have people who can help you with raw feeding and Home cooking. You should create an account for your cat and join in the discussions so you will be able to safely make your own food but still provide the nutrients that cats need.