My 1 1/2 yr old manx is so deathly afraid of people. Hides for days w/ guests over. How can I break

the cat is very affectionate in her own way by bumping her head against you as you pet her, she seems very shy though. My other manx has always been the complete opposite and loves tons of affection and loves people. I really would like to get my younger cat to warm up to people,and not hide every single time the front door opens. Also, she still kneads and sucks on a blanket as if she is nursing, maybe she was weened too early?

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds like your cat was not socialized, either by mamacat or by the breeder. On the other hand, I've been in homes where the cat is a one-person cat and I could jump up and down on one foot and twirl plates on sticks while whistling Dixie and the cat wouldn't be impressed and would hide or watch from afar. The kneading and sucking is an indication that she may have been separated from mamacat too early. Its a way of comforting herself. Socializing this cat will take lots of patience and love on your part (and that of your other cat). When someone comes over, tell them to ignore the shy cat. She has to decide on her own if she will come up to them. Even if she does, they should still ignore her while she "inspects" them. Tell your friends you are trying to socialize this cat and to avoid yelling, loud laughter and other loud noises for a while. Your cat may always be shy, but you can at least try to socialize her. Good luck!