kobe is very fat, 25 lbs! help!!!!

Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooeleMember Posts: 1,805
kobe weighs 25 lbs. my mom was just reading a cat fancy magizene and is just barely coming to realize kobe needs to lose weight or he will suffer the consiquences. he is already having trouble breathing..when he sleeps he weezes. he is turned 7 in july. he is my moms pride and joy next to her kids. she doesn't want to lose him. i need to what food to feed him? how much? how to get him to shed the pounds? how can i get him active? the health problems with obesity in cats? i don't want to lose him either. please help!!! thank you!

Best Answers

• Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    sent you a pawmail.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Gogo started to get fat when she was only a year old. I switched over to Innova Low Fat Adult cat food for all my cats and they are doing great on it. It has good ingredients and protein to fill them up but only about half the fat or regular dry food. Gogo lost about half a pound and her weight has stabilised at plump but not constantly gaining weight like she was before. I also got a panic mouse 360 toy which my cats love and it helps encourage active play. One thing to be aware of is that is is very dangerous for cats to lose weight quickly as that can cause liver failure. So encourage some more exercise switch to a similar quantity of a low fat food or reduce the quantity of food by a little bit. Losing weight at about 1 ounce a week will ensure that Kobe is safe while he diets.
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia East ProvidenceMember Posts: 2,923
    Accepted Answer
    Here is a helpful website to share with your mom:http://catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm
  • sherry LaRosa-Silvestrisherry LaRosa-Silvestri willow groveMember Posts: 888
    Accepted Answer
    First of all, take Kobe to the vet and ask to have blood work done to make sure he isn't diabetic or have any other health issues. The vet will probably recommend a high protein diet which would help your cat lose weight. The other thing you could do is to try to play with him more. Also, don't keep food out during the day and limit any snacks or treats you may be giving him. Good luck.
  • Rosalind RogoffRosalind Rogoff San RamonMember Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    Do not free feed dry cat food. Most of the supermarket brands, and many of the pet store brands, are flavored so that cats will eat too much if allowed to. These foods should be fed in small portions two or three times a day, and not more than the amount recommended on the package. If you must leave dry food out all day, use a natural brand like Innova (recommended above) or Azmira (which I feed my cats), which is made without sugar or other flavor enhancers, so your cat will eat enough but not over do it.