Am I a true American Shorthair?

Hi! I'm Daisy and I think I may be an American Shorthair. The purrson back at the pound that I came from said that I was an American Shorthair, but I have also heard that pure-bred cats are REALLY rare. My mom went ahead and put "American Shorthair/Breed Unknown" on my profile, but we don't know for sure if that is right or not. Here are some traits of mine that may give you an idea: 1.) I have a square-shaped muzzle. 2.) I have the perfect body for an American Shorthair; regular torso (not too skinny or too fat), circular head, long tail, etc. 3.) I am sweet to people, but I have a bit of a hard time getting along with other cats. Do you think that I could be an American Shorthair? Oh yeah, and I have some pictures on my profile that may help you decide if you need it.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Streetsboro
    Accepted Answer
    We do have a breed expert here on Answers who seems to be somewhat MIA right now, but I can tell you that American Shorthairs are pretty rare. It's possible that somewhere in your background you "may" have some American Shorthair, but unless your mom has papers stating that you are one, you're a beautiful, mixed breed kitty with a big Family Tree with lots of limbs and branches.
  • Timmy_TomcatTimmy_Tomcat Plymouth Meeting 19462 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Daisy you are a beautiful cat, but... If you do not have papers you are a Domestic Shorthair. Now you may actually be an American Shorthair that in some way got to the pound, still you are a Domestic Shorthair... We do not show ourselves but there may be a cat-agory if you wanted to give it a go! Purrs to you pretty Timmy TomCat
  • Accepted Answer
    American Shorthairs are purebred, pedigreed cats developed from American domestic shorthairs. They have a distinctive facial shape, and you do not have the appearance of being an American Shorthair. You're an absolutely gorgeous cat, so don't worry about breeds. Also, take descriptions of "typical" breed behavior with a grain of salt. I have 14 Maine Coons and they all have different personalities. There might be a little extra something in your genetic mix, but I wouldn't say American Shorthair. Enjoy!