Can you crate an older cat to train him?

Member Posts: 1
My cat is two and a half years old. He is declawed and neutered. He has moved several times and was ENTIRELY okay with that. Since we moved in to the most recent house (9 months ago) and a permanent house ... he has began to spray in the house. He goes outside on and off and is liking that more than being inside. This may have something to do with it, I need to train him back to being a house cat like he was the first year and a half of his life. I am thinking about crating him to do so. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Speaking from experience, if you have been letting your cat out, he's not going to be crazy about a crate. He'll probably howl and claw to get out. He may be spraying because the former residents had a cat who marked and he's picked up the scent. If he goes out, he may go looking for your old house, so I'd keep him in or he may not come back. Try getting some interesting things to make this house seem like home--some catnip if he likes that or if you can afford it, a cat tree for him. Spend extra time with him because he's probably confused about whether THIS is finally a permanent home. He needs extra attention and love right now, even if you are busy unpacking. He's just at a loss and trying his best to cope.
  • Catherine CowanCatherine Cowan Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    Domesticated cats are meant to stay indoors. Especially in populated areas. Also, if your cat is declawed, he should DEFINITELY not be allowed outside as his claws are his only defense. There are several predators outside against whom he would be defenseless. As for crate training, since he has been going outdoors this would probably be a lot longer process than for indoor cats. It takes time and patience. Do a Google search for cat crate training. There is a website with step-by-step instructions on how to do this. I found it very informative. Good luck! And keep kitty inside!
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I live in a country that it is common for cats to go outside, it would be cruel to confine them here as they love it outside, they would give us hell if we restrict them BUT the fact you have declawed him poses a problem. Its illegal in our country. I'm wondering if spraying is his only way to defend himself and his area. To say I live here beware, don't come any closer. I think if he felt safe he may not spray as much. Maybe, but I also have one that sprays occasionally and I'm assuming there may be another cat around. I'm not familiar with crating, Sounds like a large cage that a cat gets put in if it's injured and needs restriction. Or what I see on programs about cat hoarders and small cages. It doesn't sound like fun. Is it possible to put a large like huge cage on your property like around the perimeter? So he can go out when he wants to but also feel safe. http://www.catfencein.com/ http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/enclosures.html
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Always bring kitty to the vet first to rule out medical issues before behavioral is looked into. In addition to the above posts, what sort of litter do you use? Reason why I say this is because, as a declawed cat ages, they are prone to early onset arthritis in the affected paws. So some types of cat litter can be painful for them and they'd rather urinate in other places then go into the box. You may want to try a very soft texture litter. Feliway is another thing you can use in addition. It;'s a calming pheramone that will help him adjust to his new environment.