New Kitten intrduced to older cats in the household

Nana ChristopoulouNana Christopoulou KALAMATAMember Posts: 190
edited 3 October, 2005 in Behavior & Training
We brought Ballu home at a very young age, but we couldn\'t do otherwise cause she came from Athens and we live in another city in the South. Piko has never hissed at her and has accepted her from day one. She can be a bit too hyper for him however he plays chase and rough house with her all the time. Today a woman at the vets told me that when Ballu is fully grown things may change and Piko and her could fight! I am horrified, I don\'t want to believe this. Can anyone has experienced such a behaviour? Do you think that I should worry and be alerted for future problems?

Comments

• Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don\'t think you would have anything to worry about. As long as the heirarchy is established in the beginning you should be fine. If there would be a problem I think it would be now since Ballu is just a baby and Piko is not used to it. As time goes by, Ballu will calm down and already knows where she stands in the family dynamic. Good luck. You also may want to check out a thread that Alex helped me a great deal with. Click here: Adopting and Adapting
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I don\'t think they will fight. Younger females usually do not seriously challenge adult males for dominance. She will grow up with him as the boss and that is how it will stay. They may have a few spats when she reaches adolescence, but they will get over it. You may see behaviour that looks like fighting to human eyes. I mean things like chasing each other around the house, pouncing on each other, and wrestling on the floor. That is not fighting. That is how cats play. But you have a whole herd of pets, right? Didn\'t I see on your page that you have a huge family? It won\'t be any different than what you are used to.
  • Nana ChristopoulouNana Christopoulou KALAMATAMember Posts: 190
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, Peggy I checked that thread you mentioned and it has useful information. Thank you so much. You are right Ballu is a bit too hyper for Piko at the moment but he handles it just perfect. When he can't play and chase her around he gives me a head bat and a distinct unique meow, to tell me to take charge of the situation and distract her. In situations where I am in the middle of something he hides behind Lucy, so that Ballu will be distracted by the dog!He is such a clever boy... Alex, you are so reassuring!!I have always had males with the exception of a single female Caliko , my first cat and Filenada. I have lived dominance quarrels in the house a few times among the males, and I can tell the difference between playing and fighting as you mentioned. I wish our family was as big as listed, but a terrible poisoning happened and killed my Noah, Filenada and Luna. It was thrown on our balcony where the three of them where sunbathing. Piko was left alone and he was So lonely. He has never been an only kitty , he was always surrounded with brothers and a sister. I think he is really happy with Ballu's presence and all he wants to do is cuddle with her...She is not so cuddly and prefers playing at the moment! I am searching for another kitten at the moment, I have never lived in a house with less than 3 kitties. It feels so empty!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm glad you found it helpful. Spike annoys me all the time since he's just a baby and wants to play, play, play. When I've had enough or want to be left alone, I jump up somewhere where he can't get me. I know he can't jump so I'm safe and I come down when I am ready for more pouncing, wrestling, and nibbling! Good luck finding another perfect companion!
    That is so sad that your cats were poisoned. I didn\'t realise that. I\'m sorry. :-(
    edited 27 February, 2006
    It OK Alex, mommy hasn't updated their pages as she hasn't found the courage to do so yet. Mommy used to let us in the garden and verandas to hang out, as we have such a great weather all year long- winter comes in mid december, but after that incident both Ballu and I are indoors only cats. Mommy rushed my brothers and sister to the vets but it was poisoning with organophosphorics and pieces of glass...and all she could do was put them all down. I am still mourning myself.
  • Elizabeth MobleyElizabeth Mobley BirminghamMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am so shocked and disgusted that your cats were poisoned. I know you might not want to dwell on it but if you can, can you tell us if you have any idea who or why? You are positive it was intentional? Had the vet ever seen this before? I can only imagine how you must feel.
  • Elizabeth MobleyElizabeth Mobley BirminghamMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am so shocked and disgusted that your cats were poisoned. I know you might not want to dwell on it but if you can, can you tell us if you have any idea who or why? You are positive it was intentional? Had the vet ever seen this before? I can only imagine how you must feel.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Unfortunately our vet has seen poisoning like that many times. In my previous home a mad man had tried to poison my Lucy, my dog but he hadn't put pieces of glass in that meat and we caught it in time. I always have at home ingections and medication ready for cases like that, each for every member of our family and I used them on my babes before rushing them to my vet. I had found a half eaten piece of meat on the veranda and took that along with me.We saw that there were pieces of glass and we put them all down cause they were in such a big pain!They were all babies so young and healthy and they never bothered anyone in the neighborhood. How they did this to them? I moved from my previous home to my own in the suburbs, where we are surrounded with olive trees as I was afraid for poisoning after what has happened to my Lucy...only to loose my babies. I have absolutely no idea who did this. I have seen many stray dead kitties in the fields where I take the dogs to run and play and I have posted posters to let people know that someone has poisoned my babies and to be careful with their own. I feel so guilty for letting them outside, but all they went was in our garden and verandas that's why I wasn't afraid of poisons and cars. Now I have Piko restricted inside and he is NOT happy with it at all. He has been an inside only kitty for more that 2 months and meows in front of the door like he did the first day!I have tried to put him in his carier and take him out with me but his crying is worse.
    Piko, I can\'t even imagine how heart-breaking that must be for your mom. Give her a big, loud purr for me, okay? Also, since she has talked about it anyway, I think getting a second kitten would be great. That way, the kittens could do silly kitten stuff together and not bother you too much. Lots of experts say that it\'s best to adopt kittens in pairs for that reason.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, Alex I always give mommy big hugs , we both need those! She wanted initially to adopt 2 kittens but there was only Ballu in her litter, and now we are looking for the right kitten. Since there are so many stray and abandoned ones, and since there aren\'t any pounds here in Kalamata...mommy has asked all her friends to be aware of kittens needy for help and she looks out there for one herself. I hope she finds one soon enough for both mine and Ballu\'s shake!!I fear that she may take home more than one,though...What will I do then with all those hyper kittens around?