Am I the only one who gets bald spots??

edited 3 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Sometimes I get bald spots on my ears, of all places, and sometimes I will get one on my neck. They really don't bother me at all, they don't itch and to be honest, I think they bother mommy more than they bother me. She took me to the vet once and they pulled some of my hairs out around the bald spot and did some kind of "culture" but didn't find anything. After a few weeks or a month they will go away. Anybody else ever have this problem? Love, Midnight Helen

Comments

• Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've had that problem the past year. It is either allergies from a new food dish or food allergies (balding chin), Marina picking on me (balding chin, legs and ears) or maybe it is just the stress of having a new sister. The vet noticed the hair thinning and after a few weeks he noticed it was getting thicker again. We had switched foods and I had had time to adjust to Marina so we don't know what the cause is. I still have some slight thinning around the mouth that may be from the glaze used to seal the ceramic bowls I use (this according to the vet) and I still have some thinning on my back feet (undoubtedly from Marina trying to eat me). It isn't causing any problems and I don't think anyone but mommy and the vet would notice so we don't worry about it.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you, Velvet. I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's probably more noticeable on us too since we're black. Thanks again!
  • Jennifer CrossanJennifer Crossan Scottsdale/PhoenixMember Posts: 291
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Toby gets balding spots on his feet! He was checked over at the vet by the lady that used to feed them and nothing was found. I know a cat that had bald spots and it was doing it to itself -stress, and was put on kitty prozac!
  • Dana DunnDana Dunn Member Posts: 2,587
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh my yes! Here I thought I was the only one with those unsightly bald spots! Mine are mainly around my ears/eyes. Marmee worries about it but has had the same experience the rest of you have had. At least I\'m not as bald as I was the time I accidentally rubbed against marmee\'s legs when she had Nare on them! Boy that was embarrassing, not only did I lose fur but I got a bath for my troubles as well!
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    aaahhhahahahaha! hehehehehe! That's just funny! Ok, sorry but you have to admit that is funny. Thank God mom still uses a razor! hehe
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, my. Well, I have a bald spot from licking. Actually, a couple. The doctor thinks it's a reaction to vaccinations, and an allergy, but I am starting to think I am just nervous. The human is actually thinking of getting me a little fur teddy bear or something to see if I will lick that instead!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Thank you, everybody, for your response. The Nair story made me meeeooowww and laugh! I think mommy will just try not to worry about it unless it seems that it's making me itch real bad or gets worse. Meow!! Love Midnight Helen