A little blood on my poop.

Kate MarshallKate Marshall Member Posts: 8
edited 4 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Hi, I just got my little Kitten, Roxie yesterday. This morning I found that she had not pooped in her litter tray, but that is not the problem. As I picked up the poop that was a little soft I noticed that on one bit there was a little bit of blood. It was bright red and seemed to be in a kind of mucous. Does anyone know if that is normal for a kitten after a food change? I do not know what food the pet shop gave the kittens so I just gave her some Whiskers kitten food. Also does anyone know if it\'s normal for a 7 week old kitten to not be interested in dry cat food and water? Roxie doesn\'t seem the slightest bit onterested in drinking any water and I am worried she might get dehydrated. I must admit I was a little shocked when the pet shop sold me a 7 week old kitten, I thought they were supposed to be at least 8 weeks before they should be taken from their mother??

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi! I got a small kitten from a pet shop once who had blood every time she went to the bathroom. When I took her to the vet, they did stool cultures and we found out that she had a pretty good case of worms. It was very easy to treat though, the vet just gave us some medicine drops (which she seemed to really like!) and she also had to be on "bowel rest" for several days, which just meant bland things like cottage cheese, rice, etc. And as far as the food, since she's so young maybe you could try either some "moist" food or canned food. She might just not be able to chew the dry food yet. I hope this helps. Midnight Helen's mother
  • Alex KondosAlex Kondos TulsaMember Posts: 600
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Buying a kitten from a pet shop- big no no! The fact that she was underaged should have been a big red flag. Please get the little darling to a vet- she needs to have a fecal done (all kittens should, most need to be dewormed) and probably her first set of shots.
  • Kate MarshallKate Marshall Member Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, I took her to the vet yesterday as a free vet check was part of the package. The vet said that she seems to be healthy but she does have some fleas. He gave her some Advantage and told me that when she is 8 weeks to worm her for tapeworm and other worms and to also heartworm and vaccinate her. Of course I will be doing that as soon as she is 8 weeks. She just started to eat some fry food now! I was hurrying to get her some of the wet food I have been giving her and I heard her crunching away on the dry food. Her poop hasn;t been bloody again but she does seem to be having a little trouble, straining and squeaking, if that doesn\'t clear up soon I will take her right back to the vet, but I am thinking it might just be the food change. I am getting her some kitten milk as well since she still doesn\'t seem to be drinking the water, maybe it will encourage her.
    Oh, poor little baby!!!! Yes, I would definitely take her back to the vet if it seems that she's straining when she's going to the bathroom. I'm glad she's starting to eat the dry food, I guess it just took a while for her to get used to her new home. Keep us updated!!
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Please do take her back if she continues to strain. And don't wait to long. I've heard of too many kitties that develop an aversion to the litter box because once they had constipation or a urinary infection. They associated the pain with the box not the illness and started peeing elsewhere. Purrrrrssss..... Velvet
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't know about anyone else but I normally do not take them to the vet that comes with the adoption. I feel safer taking them to my regular vet that I trust so I know I'll get to the bottom of the problem. I do not trust the vets that work with the shelters / pet stores, etc. only because I think that they will tell me everything is fine so you don't go back and say you gave me a sick kitten. That's just me. When I got Spike, I also got a free visit that came along with the adoption but I chose to take him to my vet and he was diagnosed with kennel cough while their vet told them he was perfectly healthy. If I had believed that, I also jeapordized Peggy's health. It's totally your call though.
    I have to agree with Spike. I'm sure not ALL of them are like that but a lot of them probably are. Sad, isn't it? I hope that little girl is feeling better very soon.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think as soon as I do the vaccinations I will probably be changing Roxies vet to the one I was taking the cat I babysat for 2 years to. Everyone at my dog training club says that they are the best vets in the city and they seemed to be really good, I am also considering taking my dog there. Roxie seems to be much better now, the last time I took her to her litter trey she seemed to not strain, so hopefully it was just the shock of new food, pet stores should really tell you what food they use so you can ease your pet into new food like the pet store that I got my dog from did. I got Roxie some kitten milk so now I know she is drinking and eating fine. Thanks for all the advice, it has been a really long time since I have had a young kitten.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I had bloody goo in my poop before and it turned out to be an infected anal gland. The vet cleaned it and gave me some antibiotics and it cleared up. :) Hope you're feeling better soon!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Roxie is feeling much better now, she seems to have adjusted to the food, although it appears that beef food doesn't agree with her. She has also started to drink water as well. Now she spends most of her time playing and sleeping.
    Yeah!!! I'm so glad you're feeling better, Roxie. It's okay that the beef doesn't agree with you; it's the same with me and Meow Mix. Seems like every time my mom tried to give it to me I threw up. Keep on playing and sleeping! That's what we do best!! Love Midnight Helen