Kidney Failure or Chronic Renal Failure

Stephanie BlaisureStephanie Blaisure BinghamtonMember Posts: 75
edited 8 May, 2006 in Cat Health
My kidney is failing, i've already lost about 80% of it. Does anyone know anything about this disease? My mom is doing research, but is finding the same information over and over again. She just wishes to understand a little big more before, so she can have some type of closure.

Comments

• Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't know anything about this, but my heart goes out to you. Keep us informed and God bless!
  • sarah schupfersarah schupfer brooklynMember Posts: 1,217
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ahhhh fluffy-my heart goes out to you and your humans. i'm so sorry! pea
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I had a feeling that was what might be going on with you. According to your diary, you experienced a very typical renal \"crash\" a couple of weeks ago. That\'s why I meowed at you about chicken broth, to try to get some fluid into you. ;-) Just to be very clear about something, CRF is not the end of the world. There are many CRF kitties who live for years and have a decent quality of life. Here is a great group for CRF kitties. It has a lots of information about how to live with this disease. You have to join to access the information they have. I would encourage you to do that. You can always set your subscription to \"no mail\" and read it on the web, if you don\'t want the messages clogging your inbox. If you want to post on that group (and there is no reason that you shouldn\'t), they will ask for the results of your blood test. If you don\'t have those numbers, ask for them from your vet. It\'s worth it because there are people on that group who have been through this and probably know more than the average vet. They are very patient and helpful with people and kitties who are new to CRF, because they\'ve been there. Don\'t feel shy about posting even if some of the other messages there seem very technical. What is going on right now? Have you been hydrated? Are you eating? If you are adequately hydrated and eating a reasonable amount, that is the most important thing. If I can do anything to help or if you have any questions, feel free to meow me privately.
  • Stephanie BlaisureStephanie Blaisure BinghamtonMember Posts: 75
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Alex and everyone else for the support. Alex thank you a lot, you've really been there for me and my mom and we appreciate it. I just joined the fourm, the only problem is we go to a country vet. He is very good and very accurate and also fairly cheap! But, he doesn't mess around with all of the numbers. He can tell what is wrong with an animal before he does any tests or hears anything from us. When we took Fluffy in, he felt around and looked at her teeth and eyes and then asked questions like "How are her eating habits?, Drinking habits? Does she fall down a lot? Vomting... bowel movements? etc. He took some blood and put in something, they only thing i can think of is it looked like the stick i alwasy used when i was testing the PH of my pool when i was young. He looked at what came out and said that My Kidney was failing and that it's lost about 80% of it's function. I know she didn't have the extent of the tests as "normal" vets would have done, but i really do trust this vet. He is very very good at what he does. He understands that a lot of us don't know what all of those numbers and words and such mean so he doesn't mess around with it. He gets right to the root of the problem and tries to solve it. I hope the fourm can still help. We'll see.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    That's not really how it works with kidney failure. You can't know what the kidneys are doing without blood tests. It's like saying, "I have this really great banker. He can tell me exactly how much money I have just by looking at me. He doesn't need to mess around with counting money." He may be able to make an educated guess, but that 80% loss of kidney function thing... That's just blowing smoke. That is not something you can learn from a dip test. I'm not sure you could even get that from an ultrasound. However, the needs of a CRF kitty can be huge and it's up to you to decide what you, your cat, and your finances can handle. You can take a look at that group and get an idea of what is involved with trying to treat this. Incidentally, the cat that I grew up with had CRF. We made the decision not to treat it beyond trying to keep her comfortable. She was PTS when she refused to eat on her own. That wasn't my decision but I think it was right for her.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Fluffy, I'm so sorry to hear you have this problem and it was caught so late. You do need the blood tests to determine exactly how late it is. I have CRF as well but mine was caught very early by accident. Right now, I'm essentially symptom free and my numbers are great. Mommy did a lot of research and here are a few links that provided helpful information for her. The first two are CRF sites. The third one tells you about the blood tests, what the different figures are and what they mean. www.felinecrf.org www.felinecrf.com http://www.amarillomed.com/howto.htm I know you trust your vet, but please get a second opinion and a blood test for peace of mind if nothing else. And please keep us updated on how you are doing. Purrs...Velvet
  • Meg WallaceMeg Wallace Los AngelesMember Posts: 27
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Fluffy, I, too, have CRF and have had it for 3 1/2 months. When I was first diagnosed, my Mom was petrified and she still worries a little too much. But, at least for now, I am doing fine (with my at home treatments) and although its a very scary diagnosis, there is a lot to be done. Even with a minimal amount of kidney function. Don\'t give up-and try not to stress (and tell this to your Mom/Dad too). You can live and be happy with this disease. The Yahoo group is excellent- and please feel free to email me anytime as well. As I said, my Mom had learned a lot since I was diagnosed and would be happy to help out :) Take care, okay?
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am sorry to hear that.... A very good website is: http://www.felinecrf.com/ Also there is a wonderful Yahoo Group called Caring for CRF Felines... My cat Sylvia had kidney disease and that group was very helpful... We had to give her sub-q fluids and I put her on a high-quality low protein/phosphorus food that she would eat (she was very picky) which was Wellness Lite and she did pretty well... We were lucky as we caught it early-- the only signs she had was slight weight loss, but we did a blood test before teeth cleaning and found that she had kidney disease... She did great for over two years, a few times we had to increase sub-q fluid but she was doing very well... She passed away of mammary cancer last fall.
  • Tori CatzTori Catz USAMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Sorry to hear that your cat has kidney failure. I know how it feels to have a cat with CRF, I lost my cat Ginger with kidney failure about 2 years ago and when we fond out she had it we all were heart broken. I wish you and your family the best and hope you can find the closer that you are looking for.
  • Pam BonkoskiPam Bonkoski SuperiorMember Posts: 28
    edited 8 May, 2006
    Hi all..I have CRF too and so far I am feeling okay. My mom and family have decided no heroic efforts. They don't want to prolong any suffering I may have in the future. I put my paw on my DNR and I know that they love me and will know when its time to say goodbye to me. I have lived a good life and love my humans very much. "life is eternal and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon, and a horizon is nothing more than the limit of our sight." Peace be will all the sick kitties and their families and those that have crossed over the bridge. When my time comes we will play together forever in heaven.