I love chewing on plastic bags!!!

edited 28 April, 2006 in Behavior & Training
Every chance I get!! Mommy goes out of her way to put them out of my reach but I always manage to find SOMETHING that is plastic so I can chew on it. Trash bag, whatever. That's how I lost one of my 9 lives--mommy caught me chewing a bag once and actually pulled about 6 inches of plastic out of my mouth. I don't know why I chew those things, I just do. Maybe to bring up fur balls, it does seem to help. Anyone else like to chew on bags?

Comments

• Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to just hide in the bags but now I like to chew on them too. I know it isn\'t food, I just like to chew. Mommy leaves a couple out for us to play with because Velvet always liked them. But since I started chewing on the bags recently, Mommy said she is going to put them up when she gets home from work today. She said she doesn\'t want me to get carried away and start eating them.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I know, isn't it so tempting????? Be careful though not to chew off a piece because you could really get hurt. Thanks for your response!
    I chew plastic bags! I like to chew them when I want something else because it always gets mom\'s attention. Hehehe...
  • Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love chewing on plastic!It is tempting,I don't know why I do it.I just do.
  • Jennifer NelsonJennifer Nelson St. CloudMember Posts: 18
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to love playing in plastic bags and sleeping on them. That made my human worry a lot, so what she did was this: When ever she came home from the store and had a plastic bag, or was pulling one out of the cupboard to clean our litter box, she would make sure to really shake them out and make a LOT of noise with them. This scared my brother and I so much, that we didn't want to go near plastic bags ever again!
  • Jennifer NelsonJennifer Nelson St. CloudMember Posts: 18
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to love playing in plastic bags and sleeping on them. That made my human worry a lot, so what she did was this: When ever she came home from the store and had a plastic bag, or was pulling one out of the cupboard to clean our litter box, she would make sure to really shake them out and make a LOT of noise with them. This scared my brother and I so much, that we didn't want to go near plastic bags ever again!
    Thanks for the suggestion, Crunch! Maybe it would work with me too. I'll tell mommy. Love Midnight Helen
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I would not recommend it …. Mom has a friend whose Main coon managed to eat part of a plastic bag. Not only did the cat almost die, but also it cost them $1500 to save her. Please be careful.
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am obsessed with plastic. When mom takes plastic off of something, she has to hide it way down in the trash can with the lid. Otherwise, I'll dig it out. She worries a lot because she knows it can cause an obstruction. Its sooooo good though! I used to do it a lot when I was mad or stressed, but I don't get a lot of chances to do it anymore.
    I too love chewing on plastic. Mom and dad always yell at me for it though. They try to keep plastic bags put up though because mom needs them when she takes the dogs out. If I find anything else plastic though it's fair game.....until I get caught that is.
  • Irmani DarlingtonIrmani Darlington Camden, LondonMember Posts: 7
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am obsessed with plastic bags, although I've not tried to eat one! I love trying to get into Mum's shopping the minute she gets through the door.
  • Robyn LesoskyRobyn Lesosky CincinnatiMember Posts: 5,076
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'ve often woken my mommy up in the middle of the night by chewing on their plastic garbage bags! Something about them are so irresistable!!!
  • Katie RoweKatie Rowe LouisvilleMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy gets nervous becuase I love to roll around in them and I get inside of trashbags too.... I am not into chewing on them yet.. but it is an idea....but mommy would have a heart attack.
  • Kim LendaKim Lenda EnglewoodMember Posts: 17
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh wow, I'm relieved to see other Cats with a plastic fetish!! Mama and her boyfriend worried about me at first because I like to bury myself in plastic bags...see my picture? I wait until one is left laying around and i climb on it and adjust it until I can actually sit in it or sit UNDER it. Sometimes I stick my head through the handle. Mama kept a good eye on me at first to make sure I wasn't getting tangled up or eating it...so far so good. I have more brains than she thinks!
  • Sarah BrownSarah Brown ChicagoMember Posts: 100
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I like the plastic bags too, much to Mommy\'s chagrin.. Felica\'s right, it is really dangerous. Mommy\'s changed all the garbages in our house to the metal lidded canisters with foot peddles - this has the added bonus that I can\'t dig out kleenexes or other naughty things :) She redirects my attention to paper bags, which are almost as fun. And she leaves out cardboard boxes when she gets them, which are much more satisfying to chew into and rip apart!
  • Amber GonzlaezAmber Gonzlaez San AntonioMember Posts: 9,175
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My cat Rosy used to try to do that! And try to eat string too! You sure have to be careful! I got her when I was 2 and she died when I was 18. She was 15 1/2 years! Nothing wrong at all just old! She went with me from CA to TX to OH! I loved her so much! She was always there for me!
  • Susan CunninghamSusan Cunningham PetalumaMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yummmmmmmm.... plastic. Try just licking it... you'll get the same yummy flavor and your mommy won't have to give you the heimlich. Are you into curling ribbon, too?
  • Ellie AndrewsEllie Andrews Winston-SalemMember Posts: 4
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yes that\'s right. My brother loves to lick plastic. Once my mommy caught him going to town on her library book. Those thin plastic covers that have been all kinds of nasty places sure are delicious.
  • Kelly GrahamKelly Graham Montreal, ArundelMember Posts: 89
    edited 27 February, 2006
    This bag talk is freakin me out. I recently started making a bed out of the big plastic bag of plastic bags to be returned to be reused. (besides potentially putting cat hair on peoples groceries) should I be worried sleeping on them? I dont appear to eat them. I LOVE cardboard boxes. There are at least three in my apartment until the human neighbour steals them to move stuff :( I dont want to end up suffocated, but i seem to sleep on the top layer only. Should I be worried?
  • lynn spicerlynn spicer marysvilleMember Posts: 271
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Just another caution regarding the plastic bags. When I was quite small - less than 5 pounds - I liked to roll around in the plastic bags and attack them like a ferocious beast. One day I was getting all crazy on a bag and mom was around but had gone to the basement to do something. She came back upstairs and found me all tangled in the bag -- the handle had wrapped itself around my neck and I was choking. Talk about scaring the crap out of me and mom! Just be careful -- I\'m now older and wiser (and much bigger) so I know better.
  • Carrie WCarrie W RoswellMember Posts: 141
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I also enjoy a nice plastic bag when I can get one. I like lightly biting it then running my teeth across it. My mom ships a lot of stuff and when she gets her garbage bags filled with styrofoam peanuts out I really like running my teeth against the red drawstrings.
  • Amy ClarkAmy Clark WarrentonMember Posts: 28
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Fun Post: I don't chew 'em - I lick 'em. But only the "crunchy" sounding ones, like grocery bags. When I don't like my food, I will find a bag and lick for as long as it takes to get Mom or Dad to throw out what's in my bowl and provide, not only fresh food, but a different flavor. We do this sometime, 3 or 4 times in a row.
  • Amy ClarkAmy Clark WarrentonMember Posts: 28
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Serious Post: But for you kitties that are chewing on or playing in. It's sooo dangerous. It's best if you try to refrain from it. Have your parents put them where you can't get to them, buy trash cans with lids. Our lives are too precious to give away to plastic bags.
  • Cheryl AyerCheryl Ayer RockportMember Posts: 330
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh man, I love a plastic bag. My humans know it's bad for me, though, so they indulge me and let me chew while they are putting stuff away and can keep an eye on me, then they whisk it away where I can't get at it. They thought it was a texture thing, but I'm now old and my teeth are all gone but I still love to chew (such that it is) the plastic bags. The warnings are well taken, though. Always keep an eye on your sweeties when those bags are around.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't like to chew them (much), but I like to bat them around and here the "crinkle crinkle" sound. Then, when I get tired of that, I lie down and take a nap on it! Mommy doesn't really give me bags, but like when Grandma came over the other night, she brought a bag of pillows for Mommy's new bed, and I batted that big bag around, then I laid on it! I also like candy bar wrappers! That silver stuff inside makes me want to chew on it. Mommy tried putting tin foil around to keep me off the table and counter, but I liked it. I like to chew on it, but Mommy took it down, and she lets me play with a wrapper for a few seconds, then she takes it away! Talk about cruelty to animals!
  • Kelly FalkKelly Falk LivoniaMember Posts: 15
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I used to chew on plastic bags until my mom bought me kitty grass. Now I chew on that instead. Wanna talk about strange habits? I like lickin' bread :-) Maxwell
  • rhonda marcelissenrhonda marcelissen Member Posts: 139
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Wow, I\'m so glad to know I\'m not the only cat that really likes plastic bags, especially plastic grocerie bags, I like that they are so nice and thinly made. I like to nibble plants too, but Mommy is sure not to buy any toxic plants because she knows I like to nibble on the leaves. I don\'t really eat the plastic bags, I like to lick them and suck on them just about. Mommy can\'t figure it out and the only thing she can come up with is that perhaps there is salt somehow built up on the bag, and that I like the taste of salt. But I think the other cat\'s Mommy has a good idea of eating grass grown esp. for cats. I\'ve seen Pet stores selling grass for their cats to eat, thing is it makes me throw, so I don\'t know if that\'s so great either. Any ideas?
  • Kathryn LanceKathryn Lance TucsonMember Posts: 18
    edited 28 February, 2006
    I love plastic bags so much! I like to bite them and lick them and play with them. Mommy was afraid I would swallow some and get sick. Well, a couple of weeks ago I got really sick. I started throwing up clear liquid and couldn't eat and just moped around, which really scared Mommy since I'm usually so healthy and energetic. She and Daddy took me to an emergency vet and they did xrays, which showed a possible obstruction and a huge amount of gas in my bowel and stomach. But they didn't think it was worth operating for yet, but to keep me away from the other cats and monitor what I put in the litter tray. The next day I had a HUGE amount of really ucky , foamy, gray diarrhea that smelled so bad Mommy almost got sick. But after that I was fine. Mommy thinks I must have managed to pass whatever was obstructing me. What do you think? Sammy
  • Shannon MacFarlaneShannon MacFarlane TacomaMember Posts: 250
    edited 28 February, 2006
    I don't think I've ever chewed plastic (unless as a means to get to something better, like a loaf of bread), but I get a kick out of licking plastic bags.
  • Amanda FlanneryAmanda Flannery Redford, HollyMember Posts: 29
    edited 8 March, 2006
    I lick the grocery bags too. Mom is relieved I'm not alone, but still doesn't like it. I have a thing for phone cords too. Mom cut the ends off a curly one just for me, but I loooove the gray one in her laptop bag. It's such a dirty habit, it drives mom nuts.