The vet's diagnosis is in...

Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
edited 11 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Well, after mommy and daddy sat in the waiting room of the vet office for six hours (two hours after they already closed, and after leaving me overnight the previous night) and nearly $300 later, all the tests were done. Turns out, I inherited tape worms by eating a dead flea at the vets office that gave me my surgery. Our new vet (who mommy LOVES by the way, she says it's such a beautiful and wonderful office and he really cares about your pet) said they have a lot of complaints about animals getting ticks and fleas from that old vets office, so it's a good thing I found the new one. He gave me the tapeworm medicine for free because we were already racking up quite a bill with my urine tests and all of that. My constant out-of-the-box urination and my vomiting took awhile to diagnose. He had an ultasound woman come in and that is what took so long. Turns out, I have an inflamed bladder. Mommy was actually relieved to hear this because the other thing they were throwing around was "kidney failure" and this devastated her beyond belief. Luckily, I'm curable and still going to be here for a long, long time! I'm on two medications for my inflamed bladder. I have to take them three times a day. I was very good taking the medicine when the vet showed daddy how to give it to me (mommy is such a wimp) and he even bought us a pack of pill pouches to put the pill inside for easier consuming whenever I felt like being stubborn.

Comments

• MouseMouse Near Camborne,Member Posts: 43,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good news Landon-Dakota, You keep taking those meds now like a good one and you'll be better in no time at all.. Good luck.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 27 February, 2006
    That's great! I'm so happy to hear it isn't anything worse.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Wow, Landon! It sounds like the vet really put you through the wringer. I\'m glad they figured out what is going on with you and I hope you feel better soon.
  • sarah schupfersarah schupfer brooklynMember Posts: 1,217
    edited 27 February, 2006
    that's fantastic landon! thank god your new vet got to the bottom of your problems!!! hope you feel better soon... pea
  • Cynthia StichCynthia Stich Member Posts: 762
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey - hope you are feeling better.....I had a bladder problem too....it started when I was a kitten, but when my owner took me to the vet, the urine samples showed no infections or crystals......so they all thought it was behaviorial. When I was 5 months old, I was spayed - and at that time, the vet could see during the surgery that my bladder looked inflamed. The urine tests were all still negative but they put me on antiobiotics just in case. A later ultrasound showed no other problems - but I was diagnosed with interstitial cystis without infection or crystals - who knows why. My vet did say it was uncommon in such a young cat. My owner is really careful with me, and makes sure I get plenty of fluids, by using canned food in our diets. With 7 cats - it would be tough to switch completely to canned so we all get 50/50 canned and dry. Right after I was diagnosed, I the vet put me on amytriptolene (elevil - a human antidepressant). I was a bit subdued for about 2 weeks - then returned to my old self. Best of all - I used the litter box much better and my owners were happy about that. The bad part was that those pills were awful. My owner really struggled every day to give them to me, and although I was friendly with everyone else - started to avoid HER! After about 6 months on this - we talked to the vet - it was so hard to give me pills that they decided to try a trial without. A year later... so far so good. My owner still watches me closely for symptoms though......... BTW - I eat wellness - it is a healthy food (high protein/low carbs), has cranberries in it, and also has glucosomine chrondroitin (in the dry) which, although of unproven benefit, some feel is good for arthritis, as well as the inner bladder wall.... My owner doesn\'t know if it helps...but it can\'t hurt! Good luck to you - hope you do ok - sounds like you went through enough!!!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, Landon I am so glad to hear you found out what was wrong. I can\'t believe that you got the tapeworm at your old vet\'s office! Wow, thank goodness you have found a good doctor you and your people like. Tiger, your story sounds a lot like mine -- young cat with litterbox issues, except they did find crystals with me. I was on Elavil, too. My new doctor thinks that it was caused by the pills I was taking to stop being itchy. Well, I have been off the meds for 18 months now, and eating good, healthy food, and no bladder problems at all. I take a glucosamine supplement, too. I hope you have continued good health!
  • Stephanie BlaisureStephanie Blaisure BinghamtonMember Posts: 75
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well even though none of what you are going through is good.... it is very good news that it isn't something worse!!! My mommy says you should go to your old vet and demand payment for this bill! I hope you get better quick!!!
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, everyone! You're all the best! I wouldn't be half the kitty I am today without the love and support from pals like you!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh sweetiepie, that's such good news. Hope you're feeling much bettern now.
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh Landon, we're so glad you're better. You've been through so much in your young life but at least now you are in great hands with your parents and your new vet! Glad to hear it!
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yay for Landon! Being sick is yucky! Hope you stay all better!