Visit to emergency clinic- bladder problems

Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
edited 15 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Hi I'm Bandit's mom. Bandit's over at the emergency animal hospital. This morning he meowed a sharp loud meow and was whimpering a bit and meowing. We were very worried because he never makes noises like that. So we rushed him to the hospital and were told that he had an enlarged bladder and wasn't able to urinate and probably hadn't for a day. We left him a the clinic and they've called to say that they were able to drain the urine and conducted come blood tests and now we have to wait until he can urinate on his own before he can come home, either Sunday night or Monday morning. They said that it's common in male cats. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I'm thinking of taking him to his regular vet after he comes home just to make sure he's ok. I trust the regular vet more. Please let me know what you all think.

Comments

• MouseMouse Near Camborne,Member Posts: 43,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OOHH!!, i do hope he gets better soon,
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom, you were SO SO SMART to rush Bandit in for care!! Obstructions are fairly common in male kitties--cats normally make a very concentrated urine that tends to form sludge and crystals. Female kitties don't have problems because we have short and wide urethras (yay for girl power!) but boys have long narrow ones, so there is a lot more opportunity for gunk to get stuck. Obstructed cats can get sick enough that they can die if untreated. HAppily, treatment is fairly straight forward--and it sounds like you caught things fairly early on. It would be a good idea to have your regular doctor check BAndit out (make sure you get copies of his records from the E-clinic) as he may be on medication after he is released from the hospital. I know its hard to trust an emergency care center--they move so fast, and you don't have time to build a trusting relationship. Vets who work in emergency care do so because they like the pace and the challenges and they are often sharp and very dedicated (not that your regular doc isn't!) but like human ER docs, they don't always have people skills. You did the right thing though--waiting until Monday may have put Bandit at serious risk.
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I've heard that urinary problems are closely linked to diet. If Bandit has been eating only dry food, that puts him at higher risk. If he isn't already eating a good quality wet food, his owner should switch him onto one.
  • Caron ChalderCaron Chalder Cedar RapidsMember Posts: 16
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I once went through the same thing Bandit is going through. In fact i went through it 3 times. But I'm all better now. Mom was very worried when I first meowed really loud and was acting weird and couldn't go potty. The vet kept me over night each time and made me feel better. Now Mom gives me wet food every couple days and has to give me special food. I think she calls it Urinary tract food. Several makers of cat food make this and it helps me alot. I have been problem free for over 3 years now!!! Good luck and feel better Bandit!
  • Katherine GrayKatherine Gray Member Posts: 94
    edited 27 February, 2006
    One of Mom's friends had a cat that had this happen several times, and the vet finally did a surgery that widened and shortened the urethra to make it more like that of a female cat. He hasn't had a problem since, but continues to eat prescription food from the vet's office specifically formulated for urinary tract problems. I hope everything turns out okay!
  • sarah schupfersarah schupfer brooklynMember Posts: 1,217
    edited 27 February, 2006
    geeeez bandit, i hope you're ok! my human used to live with a long haired male cat, and he had the same problem. wet food really does help cause it gets more moisture into you, and makes your urine less concentrated. what works really well, is to mix your wet food with a couple tablespoons of warm water. get well soon! pea
  • Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks everyone for all the posts. Bandit's mom feels a lot better. He's doing ok and he might get to come home tomorrow. She'll keep you posted here. Bandit will be sure to write about this in his diary!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh No! Bandit can't come home today. They removed the catheter but he still couldn't go to the bathroom and they found that he was blocked again. We have to transfer him to a normal vet tomorrow when the emergency clinic closes.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    All paws home here are crossed for you bandit.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    All paws home here are crossed for you bandit.
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Purraying for Bandit! Poor guy, hope he's doing a lot better today! Love, Saffron
    edited 27 February, 2006
    poor bandit baby! hope you get home soon!! pea
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Bandit was transferred to his regular vet this morning. He seemed to be in good spirits though he was still hooked up to some tubes and had a cone collar thing on his neck. Not sure when he can come home yet but he's doing ok so far. Thanks for all the support! He can't wait to have internet access so he can write all about it! - Bandit's mom
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi everyone. I'm still at the vet!! (I got internet access though...:) I guess the reblockage on Sunday has made my bladder weak. I'm eating and drinking fine but i need help to go to the bathroom.They have to express my bladder for me so that I can go. Last night I didn't go at all and so the vet is keeping me here all day and I might have to stay at night again. I'm not blocked which is good, just need some help to go. Has anyone else had this kind of problem from FUS? I've been away from home since Saturday! MEOW! Bandit
    Ooooooo some times that can happen if your bladder gets all stretched out. Most times its temporary though (happily!) Some vets use medications to help make the bladder muscles stronger so you can pee on your own. Many times they like to give a day or so to see if the bladder will come back on its own. Your mom might want to ask your doctor about those drugs (one of them is called bethanicol...say it BETH-ann-eh-cohl) You are soooo lucky to have the Internet at your doctor!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I"m home!!! MEOW!!! Thanks kitties for all the advice and support Bandit
    Yay, Bandit! Tell your mom that you deserve to be spoiled all weekend!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    not only did bandit get to come home....but he got to come home on his humans birthday! how's that for a good gift giver?