Cats and loseing weight....I NEED TO KNOW!

Courtney K-Courtney K- WarrenMember Posts: 5,721
edited 16 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Well, my one-year-old cat, Gremlin is at a whopping 25+ pounds. I'm DESPERATE to know how to get cats to lose weight. He's a cute little bugger and I don't want him dying on me. Got any hints?

Comments

• jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HI GREMLIN! I\'m an Ohio kitty too! I never heard of Cortland though. I live close to the Cleveland area! You are a cutie... maybe some [ick, gasp] diet food? Or maybe feeding time could become an activity? Like call him from a different room so he has to walk to get a peice of food, then go to a different room and call him for another peice of food? I don\'t know, I am NO expert, that\'s furrsure! Is he at all active? Does he like to play? Have you tried a laser light, pointer thingy? I just love chasing that thing all around! Just becareful not too get it close to his eyes! Does he have a feeding time or is his food left out all day? Sorry for all the questions! Love, Saffron
  • Stephanie BlaisureStephanie Blaisure BinghamtonMember Posts: 75
    edited 27 February, 2006
    What kind of food does Gremlin eat? Mommy was going to put me on Lite weight managment cat food when my belly started to get a little big. Also, my good friend Alex told me about this, cats eat till they fulfill their protene levels, so if Gremlin is on a food that doesn't have a lot of protene he'll eat and eat till he has had enough protene. If he's on a high protene food then he wont eat as much.
  • Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdaleMember Posts: 529
    edited 27 February, 2006
    A friends vet said not to give her cat kibble...just wet food in the morning and night. Cat lost weight.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Purrsonally, I think you should get Gremlin to a vet for a check-up. The vet will know the best way for him to lose weight safely. Follow the vet's instructions about what food to feed, how much and how often. It probably won't be a lot of fun, and if Gremlin's like me, he'll do everything to try to get his humans to get him off the diet, but whatever you do don't go back to old feeding habits. I'm always meowing for food but my mom makes sure that she doesn't feed me more than what I'm allowed in a day by measuring it out and putting it in a little container. That way she knows exactly how much is left before the end of the day. Don't put the whole day's ration in his bowl at once, rather divide it up into several portions. Play with Gremlin and give him lots attention so his mind will not always be on food. I'm no expert either, so maybe somecat else will have more advice for you. Good luck to you and keep us posted on Gremlin's progress.
  • Rachel NosalRachel Nosal LincolnMember Posts: 135
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I\'m getting a little more robust than the human pet cares for, she stops letting me free feed. She\'ll get out her measuring device and give me 6-1 oz servings of food, not the diet stuff, just the same food we always have put out. It\'s high in protein so we don\'t overeat. My weighty issue is more from the nibbles I get elsewhere. And the worst part? NO TREATS! So, I try to just give in and actually stay active. We have a kid\'s size fishing pole with a mouse on it that she throws all over the house and then reels in for us to chase. I don\'t do the whole laser pointer thing, it\'s just silly. The human pet feeds us Wysong Archetype.
  • Connie Cardwell-WhitisConnie Cardwell-Whitis RichardsonMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I agree that a thorough check by a vet is the way to go. Be sure and rule out any thyroid problem or other reason for the possible weight gain and take the vet's advice. He/she will be able to tell you how many k/cals per day to feed. Most reputable high quality cat foods will give the k/cals on the packaging. Also, it could be that you are just a large cat, but 25 pounds at one year does seem pretty 'weighty.' We are large for Siamese, too. But since cat-mom has been feeding us the k/cals recommended per day, we have slimmed down a bit. It takes time, just like with humans. But again, a vet check is important....to rule out any other reason for the excess weight. Keep us posted.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    As Raccoon said, high protein seems to be the key. I have tried just about every \"light\" food out there and I just gained and gained. Then Mom switched me to EVO and I\'m finally losing weight. I understand that EVO doesn\'t fit everyone\'s budget. Purina Pro Plan weight loss is another good, high-protein food. There are others out there. Those are just the ones I am most familiar with. Be careful because some cat foods have higher protein but the protein comes from plant sources, like corn or soy. That protein isn\'t useful for cats. We need protein from a prey-like thing, like a chicken. Also, be aware that crash diets are very bad for kitties. Losing too much weight too quickly is dangerous for our livers. If you can lose 1/4 to 1/2 pound per month, that\'s a good rate.
  • Tracy ReitmireTracy Reitmire Member Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Gremlin ~~ Meow...It\'s not easy losing weight, but the health benefits certainly outweigh the risks. You don\'t want to become diabetic or develop other health problems. Please go see your vet and get advice from him/her on how to go about losing weight. Typically cats lose more weight eating canned food vs. dry food. Any diet changes must be gradual and advised by your vet. There are special prescription diet foods that are helpful for a lot of kitties. Good luck Gremlin and keep us posted!
  • Tracy ReitmireTracy Reitmire Member Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey Gremlin ~~ Meow...It\'s not easy losing weight, but the health benefits certainly outweigh the risks. You don\'t want to become diabetic or develop other health problems. Please go see your vet and get advice from him/her on how to go about losing weight. Typically cats lose more weight eating canned food vs. dry food. Any diet changes must be gradual and advised by your vet. There are special prescription diet foods that are helpful for a lot of kitties. Good luck Gremlin and keep us posted!
  • Ingrid BaerIngrid Baer Red DeerMember Posts: 149
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Someone already mentioned this, but maybe you can try switching to a wet diet. Dry food has a lot of carbs, so a lot of cats who eat a dry-only diet get fat. Wet food doesn't have the carbs, so cats can lose the excess weight (plus wet food helps prevent UTIs). Both me and Willow are on a dry-only diet, with a can of wet food every now and then (mom is trying for a few times a week, but the cans always seem to run out so fast!). Neither me nor Willow are fat yet, but mom says I'm going to be. I'm at a good weight, but I eat so much that when my metabolism slows down (which is bound to happen sooner or later), I'm going to turn into a marshmallow. Oh well, mom says her favorite marshmallows are the black, crisp, burnt kinds, lol Also give a lot of exercise. Find a toy the cat likes and play often.