Ingrown claws

Jennifer HurleyJennifer Hurley New YorkMember Posts: 2
edited 17 October, 2005 in Cat Health
I think Butch has an ingrown claw. I clip his claws pretty regularly, but I was looking at them last night and his middle claw has become very thick and dark and is curled around almost back into his paw. He is a black cat with dark claws, so I usually only clip the sharp tip off. This thick claw is too blunt and does not have a sharp tip, and it is so dark I cannot see where to clip it. I hope the vet will be able to easily do something about this. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    If you can find a pait of cat claw scissors (they look like small scissors, with a short, notched blade---PetCo has them) you can trim the nail in stages--first close to the tip as possible, then back a little, etc. If this proves too painful to do at home, your vet can do it pretty easily...poor Butch!