Need advice, please!

edited 20 October, 2005 in Cat Health
This is Midnight Helen's mother. I need your advice! I posted on another thread that she coughs now and then (maybe once a month) but as soon as I pet her and talk sweetly to her, she will stop coughing and start purring--so I just assumed it was a behavioral thing. She is having NO other symptoms whatsoever. Just to be on the safe side, I called her vet today and they told me that it would be a good idea to bring her in and do blood work and all kinds of things. Of course, if she is sick I don't care what the price of anything is if it will help her. But I'm wondering if I should traumatize her with a car trip to the vet, a blood draw, and other things. She will soon be 11 years old and I NEVER take her anywhere unless I really think it's necessary. I'm starting to think that since she is fine otherwise, maybe I really don't need to take her. But on the other hand, what if something is really wrong with her? I'd never forgive myself if she died from something I could have prevented or treated!!

Comments

• Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think that maybe a check up would be good, just in case there is anything wrong. It's easier to fix something when it first starts than if it's been going on for awhile. She might not like the car ride but if nothing is wrong then she'll just come home and can relax. Bandit
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks, Bandit. I think you're right. I decided to go ahead and make her an appointment. She goes Saturday morning! Wish us luck!
  • Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good luck!! Meow!
    YAY....I know going to the vet kinda sucks but its worth it. Most visits (even when they take blood, ew!) are less stressful for us than our humans think they are. Coughing in cats is rarely behavior driven...many times its a sign of allergic disease (asthma is pretty common) So its always a good idea to get a cough checked before something bad happens.
  • sarah schupfersarah schupfer brooklynMember Posts: 1,217
    edited 27 February, 2006
    hey midnight-helen, i hope all goes well at the vet! just be lucky your get to go in a car. my human has to load me in a carrier, and walk 8 blocks with my bowling ball butt! pea
    Pea, that sounds like great exercise for your human. That\'s what I always tell my mom. Of course, I also try to help lighten the load by escaping from my carrier. I\'m good at that.
    heeheehee you kitties are so funny sometimes! My appointment is on Saturday morning. I'm not looking forward to it but mommy said I should just go ahead and go. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hope you feel better soon, Helen!
    Thanks, Daisy! And I hope you finally got rid of those itchy stitches!!!!
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    No ... but they come out next week!! yay!! Feel better, Helen! I'm leaving you some treats! Daisy
    Thanks for the treats, Daisy! I'll have plenty to snack on for a while. I'll post a message about my vet visit when I get back. See you then! Love Midnight
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi M.H. I sure hope you're okay. The vet isn't fun, but here's something a little funny... when I went last time they thought I was all worked up, but when the white coat checked my heart rate she said " Look at that, she's faking us out, her heartbeat is normal as they come... she's as cool as a cucumber." So we may look all haired, but we're just faking it! hehe purrs to you! Love, Saffron