Midnight Helen's vet visit

edited 22 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Well, I had to go to that awful place today where I have to sit up on this cold table and some strange woman feels all over me and listens to my heart and lungs, and also looks in my mouth! I didn't like that one bit and I growled and hissed at her the whole time! I also hissed at mommy afterward. That ought to show her! Anyway, that woman said that everything looks and sounds great but they also did blood work too. Mom is kind of worried because that woman talked about heartworms in cats and said that one of the symptoms is coughing, and of course that's one of the main reasons I had to go to that place today! So that blood they sent in has a "heartworm antigen" (or something like that) in it so we will know if it's positive or negative. But mom is going to give me a once a month preventative treatment anyway. Thank heavens I don't have to take any pills or anything; mom will just put it on the back of my neck. Hopefully since I never go outside, I haven't been exposed to heartworm. That woman said I could catch it by a mosquito bite. Well, I gotta go. I'm still a little agitated and I wonder if mommy would like to take a nap with me. I just wanted to give you an update! Love Midnight Helen

Comments

• edited 27 February, 2006
    When I went to the vet after my seizures a few weeks ago, he said that this has been a huge year for heartworm in the southeastern US. (We live in Oregon now, but we used to live in Kentucky.) He said that he didn\'t think that was the problem with me though, since I\'m an indoor kitty. Anyway, I hope you don\'t have heartworm. Maybe you are allergic to your mom. Have you considered finding a loving home for her? *MOL and runs away*
  • Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm glad you got checked out Helen! Feel better soon! Meow Bandit
    Thanks Bandit, I'd feel a lot better if I could get my brother to just leave me ALONE!!!!!!!!!!! Alex, you're so funny! meeoowwww!!!!!! If I turn out to be allergic to her, I guess I could post a message saying that I have to get rid of her and there are no other options. MOL!!!!!! By the way, one of her neighbors saw her carrying me out to the car today and asked her if she wanted two more cats........she then said she was moving and that she "couldn't take them". Mom just said "uh-huh" and we thought of you. Love Helen
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Glad you got checked, Midnight Helen! And no pills -- that's always good to hear. We are giggling along about your mom.... We had a thought of selling her to get money for a painting we want, but were reminded that we would have no one to buy food or clean the box, so....priorities, priorities! --the fiends
    Midnight Helen, sometimes you have to be practical. I mean, my mom was so cute and fun when I got her twelve years ago. Now, her hair has changed color and she has gained a lot of weight. I wanted a cute, young, fun mom. Why should I be stuck with some frumpy, middle-aged human? I could get rid of her and get someone better. Seriously, I wish I knew some way to convince humans to open their hearts again after they\'ve decided to abandon a cat. I mean, your mom could have given advice about how to move with cats and that lady would have come up with more excuses about how the cats clash with the carpet in her new home or something. It\'s so frustrating because we never give up on our humans (unless they abuse us or something).
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Selket, are you still talking about selling the Cat Mother!?!? Oh, my! *giggle*
  • jen clarkjen clark StrongsvilleMember Posts: 1,099
    edited 27 February, 2006
    hahahhahaha you cats are so funny! HEY Midnight Helen... maybe you could put up a post in the adoption and rescue forum for your mom hhheheee Nice loving lady needs a home... I'm allergic! Hope you don't have heartworms. Did they give you Revolution? That one is the only one I know of that also covers heartworm. Love, Saffron
    Hey, Saffron! Yes, they gave mom a whole box of Revolution. She's going to let me just relax for the rest of today and then start it tomorrow. I'm still sore from all those needlesticks I got today! THey took blood, then I got a rabies shot and a distemper shot. I was soooooooo mad that they had to put a muzzle on me!! Mommy read some articles online about heartworm and feels a little better about it but we'll see what the tests show. MOL--yes, I'm going to put an ad in the paper for my mom. Since I don't feel like taking care of her anymore!!! mol Saffron, what about you? Did your mommy ever find that mouse's tail???? Love, Midnight Helen
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OH Midnight Helen! I'm on Revolution too! I don't like when they put it on me, I lick and lick and try to kink my neck to reach it... it's maddening! Well, meowmie is STIll very upset and hasn't found that mouse tail yet... she DID find another mouse with its tail chewed off! She usually is real careful about cutting their tails off, but this second one is so HUGE that she thought NO WAY could I eat that! I hope I'm not in trouble [health wise!].
    Oh no, now I'm dreading when mom gives me that stuff on my neck. If that mouse's tail was big, I would think that maybe if you tried to eat it, you would have choked on it. Do you think you might have just carried it somewhere? I'm sure your mom has already checked where you played with it last to see if she could find it. Please keep us posted okay? Love, Midnight Helen
    edited 27 February, 2006
    OOOOh I\'m so sorry... I didn\'t mean that about the Revolution. You\'ll do just fine! I\'m just a sissy hehehehe It\'s just tingly is all and not even that so much now that I think about it. It\'s just a wet feeling AND it\'s only once a month torchure aaah I mean application hehe! I sure hope so! I sure hope I dragged it some where... She\'s looked high and low furrr the other one to no avail. and didn\'t come across this other one. What is my problem anyway? GEESH you\'d think they never fed me hehehe! I have to go around eating fake mice tails! I will definitely keep you posted. I just went to have a little nibble of food. Maybe that\'s a good sign? Love, Saffron
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Helen, I hope you're feeling better and that you don't have heartworms! That sounds bad! Alex ... you are sooo funny! My mommy is fat and middle-aged too, but I don't want to get rid of her. I just got her, though. I may change my mind in a year or two! hehe Take care of yourself, Helen!
    Hey Daisy! I'm feeling a little bit better today although a little sluggish from all those darn vaccinations and that blood draw. My mom is also fat and middle aged! mrrrowwwowwwwww!!!! Alex and I really don't want to get rid of our moms; we're just being sarcastic and kind of making fun of the people in the adoption forum saying they "have to get rid" of their precious kitties because they're moving. I have to go help mom now; my human brother (soon to be 15) is making her life miserable right now. I wonder if teenage cats are the same as teenage humans? Love, Helen