YOWCH! Swollen Spay Stitches

Rachel SegalRachel Segal AuroraMember Posts: 47
edited 22 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Hey everyone - Penny and MJ were spayed last Monday; everything's been looking fine until last night when I looked at Penny's stitches. They were a little pink and puffy. This morning I was distracted because my BF was really sick with food poisoning...by the time I remembered to take a look it was 12:30pm and the vet's office was closed. They were more swollen and it was notiebable that she had been chewing at them. I've put a cone on her but now I don't know if I should take her to the emergency clinic tomorrow since my vet is closed on Sunday as well. Can they wait till Monday? She's unhappy about the cone but doing okay...anyone been through this before or have any advice?? Thanks a lot. =)

Comments

• Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I wouldn't wait if it is looking that bad. I know when I had my stitches they were a little puffy but the vet said that was normal and I was just fine. Thank goodness I didn't have to wear that cone. I was a good girl and didn't even touch my stitches. It's all up to how bad your mommy thinks they look. Better to be safe than sorry so a trip to the emergency clinic may be worth the peace of mind for you mommy.
  • Jennifer CrossanJennifer Crossan Scottsdale/PhoenixMember Posts: 291
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Our dog, Maggie, had this. It was fist diangosed as a hernia as a result of ehr spay, but it disappeared so it was an allergic reaction to the stitches. Now we just have to have metal sutures if she has surgery again. Good luck!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    As long as the stitches are not oozing anything or smelling bad, you're probably fine wearing your cone collar until Monday. If any stitches are broken or the incision site is draining anything--see the ER vet today...if the incision breaks down that is REALLY BAD (and really scary)
  • Rachel SegalRachel Segal AuroraMember Posts: 47
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks everyone! We've been keeping an eye on the 'little miss' and we're going to wait until Monday to see our vet. They're swollen but the actual incision hasn't broken open. There's no discharge, pus or anything, and she doesn't mind when I touch around the area. Mainly it's making sure that she's getting enough food and water with that silly cone on! What a good girl... We'll keep you posted! =)
  • Rachel SegalRachel Segal AuroraMember Posts: 47
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, Penny and MJ got their stitches out on Friday; Dr. Jessie was very pleased with how her sutures looked after a couple of days with the cone on to keep her from messing with them. It's amazing how quickly these kitties bounce back from surgery!! Thanks to everyone for caring! Rachel, Penny and the Gang
  • Alex KondosAlex Kondos TulsaMember Posts: 600
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Glad to hear everyone is feeling well! Thanks for having her spayed!