Midnight Helen's blood work results

edited 24 October, 2005 in Cat Health
This is Midnight Helen's mother. I'm happy to say that her kidney function tests, liver function tests, heartworm test, blood counts, everything was completely normal and negative!! YIPPEE!! The only thing is, the vet told me that Midnight's thyroid panel was very much elevated. She said it was most commonly caused by a benign thyroid tumor. They're doing another blood test on her blood and if that is within a certain range, she said we have three options: 1) daily medication for the rest of her life; 2) radiation therapy; or 3) surgery. I told the vet that at her age I would prefer to try the medication first and then consider the other options if that doesn't work. She agreed. The doctor said one symptom is eating a lot and either losing weight or just not gaining at all (wish I had that "problem"!! lol) Midnight has lost 1.6 pounds but it had been a while since her last visit--it's been a very gradual weight loss. Are there any other kitties who can give us some input on thyroid problems and treatments, etc.? Meanwhile I'll see what I can find online. Midnight Helen's mother

Comments

• cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yay Midnight Helen! I'm glad you don't have those nasty worms! I think thyroid problems are common in kitties? So maybe that won't be too bad. I hope not! Purring for you Daisy
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    OOO OOO I CAN I CAN! Pros and cons of the Options: 1. Surgery. Done a lot less these days. Probably a cure, but you also run the possibility of being hypothyroid afterwards, which means that you then STILL need medicine every day forever. Ew. Also, and this entirely depends upon the skill of your surgeon (this is typically a small mass and it is in the throat which is a dicey area to operate on--many major blood vessles and nerves in the area) there is also a risk of damaging the parathyroid gland in this area which can affect how your body regulates calcium. Sometimes this is temporary and sometimes it isn't...quiz whoever is doing the surgery (if this is the route you choose) about this. 2. Radioactive Iodine therapy. A cure. Expensive up front, figure on it being about the cost of a full 2 years worth of medication. Usually for younger cats this option works out to be less expensive in the long run. Cat does need to be hospitalized from 3-7 days, depending upon what the rules are in your state (NY is 5 days, CT is 3 IIRC) since you are radioactive for a short time. You will also need to dispose of cat litter in a special way for a month or two (again, depends on local regulation) What is done is a radioactive isotope of iodine is given under the skin (just like a vaccine) and this destroys the abnormal tissue. You will need to have a full bloodwork up and urinalysis (you already did this!) and probably a chest x ray first. 3. Medication (methimazole). The most common route as this is the least expensive up front. Medication will probably need to be given twice a day for the rest of your life. Some cats do have liver issues secondary to having the medicine, but this isn't overly common. The pills are pretty small, but if you really really really hate pills, you can ask your vet to have it compounded into a liquid or sometimes you can get it in a cream that you get smeared on your ear. Some cats don't absorb the transdermal medicine very well though, so this doesn't always work. This is a very manageable disease. Ask your mom to ask about having your blood pressure checked too, as high blood pressure is a common side effect of hyperthyroidism..and it can make you go blind if not detected! EW!! Good luck with whatever choice you make
    Thanks, ladies! I really appreciate your 2 cents worth. Mommy is so happy that the heartworm test came back negative. She has actually been crying more in the last few days because she was so worried about that for some reason. That woman can't live without me!! The vet is going to call us back later this week to give us the results of the other blood test...then I guess I'll have to just get used to the medicine--the vet did tell mom about the ear stuff......because mommy told the doctor that I most likely would not take a pill. I hate those kinds of things! But I guess if the ear stuff doesn't work, I won't have a choice, huh. Well,........time to hit the sack. Goodnight, girls! Love Midnight Helen
  • Nichole DwyerNichole Dwyer Member Posts: 2,118
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thats awesome!!!!!!!
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We had a kitty in our house this year whose hyperthyroidism eventually cost her her life. Basically, she too had a benign thyroid tumour and was put on Tapazol as treatment. As a direct result of the Tapazol, she developed colitis, and had to go on prednazone for that. If it were up to me, I would have gone with the surgery instead of watching poor Nell waste away over a year\'s time, starving to death while her food sat right in front of her. I don\'t mean to scare you. But hyperthyroidism is a serious illness {and has become common only since the advent of commercial catfood} and if the tumour isn\'t removed it will eventually kill her. However, Helen\'s vet seems to have caught it early which probably means a better prognosis. Good luck to you, I will keep you in my purrs.
    Tory, thank you for your input! And I'm really sorry to hear about Nell, that must have been so hard for you! The vet sent away a "free T4" test and that should be back in a day or two. Then mommy will go in and talk to her about our options. I'm definitely going to let her know about Nell and see what she has to say. Love Midnight Helen
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Glad to hear Midnight Helen\'s tests all came back OK, except for that old thyroid thing. Since she\'s healthy otherwise, I would hesitate to put her through anything drastic, but it\'s your call. I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy when I was five, but on lasix medication which wasn\'t done with cats back then and enjoyed five more years with mom. Near the end, more advanced testing revealed a heart valve malformation that I was born with and the university gave me different medication which, in mom\'s opinion, sent me on to the Rainbow Bridge quicker than if we would have stayed on the lasix and with my regular vet. Sometimes purrrsons (in their love) try to do \"too much\". Whatever you do, Midnight Helen knows her purrrrrrrson loves her very much.
    Hi, Aragorn! First, I'm really sorry about the heart problems you had. Sounds like your purrrrson really loved you too (and still does!!) Mommy told me yesterday that it wouldn't be long before I'd have to start taking an ol' pill every day. And you're right, since I'm healthy otherwise I think mom has decided to try the medication first and if it doesn't work well, then we will go for more drastic measures like surgery. Love Helen
  • Avivah ShawAvivah Shaw lexingtonMember Posts: 518
    edited 27 February, 2006
    This is good to hear, Midnight Helen! Yay! We should have a party or something. What do you guys think? (my brothers send purrs and hugs and meows as well)
    awwww Poly, you're so sweet. I'd like to give you a big kitty hug!! Love, Midnight Helen
  • Avivah ShawAvivah Shaw lexingtonMember Posts: 518
    edited 27 February, 2006
    *kittykiss* and a big O for Midnight Helen
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We are all so happy to hear you are doing OK Midnight Helen. As far as your medication, our Mom buys "Pill Pockets" when she has to give us yukky pills. They are soft "treats" that have a little pocket in them to stick the pill into. She fools us every time! Our vet sells them but if yours doesn't, you can get them at drsfostersmith.com. Good luck!
    Hi, Candy! And thanks for your advice. I actually heard mom talking to my doctor about those things but I won't even eat treats. I'm afraid mom is going to have to give me the medicine the old fashioned way. She does have a "pill popper", a long thing that you load the pill onto and then stick it in the back of my throat and that will help me swallow it. Mom said she was going to pick up my medicine today on her lunch break and I have to start taking it tonight and that I better get used to it. Yikes!! One good thing, my doctor said I only have to take 1/2 pill a day. I hope it's not too bad! Love, Midnight Helen
    Midnight Helen, I just bumped a thread to help your mommy learn about pills. MOL