Out Boating! Ever been on a boat?

Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
edited 4 June, 2005 in Cats & Travel
Question for any cats out there? Folks are interested in a boat but are not sure if they should take me on the boat. They are worried I will jump off the boat into the water because I'll be scared.

Comments

• MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We know about people who have boats and cats, and some have cats who live on the boats! I guess first you ought to find out if you are really afraid of water. Big Brother Vijay and I love water; he jumped into a pool of people once -- on his retractable leash! Then, have your people check into cat life jackets, and other safety accessories. Cats on boats are not at all uncommon, and between the boating shows/stores and good pet stores you should find advice on how to proceed and what you will need. The other thing the cat mother always does when she has specific questions is go to a cat show, or get in touch with a breed group -- they are always happy to chat. Ooh, it sounds like fun! Happy Sailing! Hope this was a little help.
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Selket I am definitely not afraid of water. I've been known to be a peeping tom and peak into the shower curtain when someones taking a shower with the water running. I'll look some more information up. But all the tips help
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey, Linux, my friend-- if you live in Orlando, you should have lots of people around who have boat cats! We are close to both the ocean (not Your ocean, the Pacific) and San Francisco Bay--that's how we know these things! And believe me, some of those life jackets are very cool! It's sorta your call -- all kitties are different -- but you certainly don't sound like you have nerve attacks. Peeking into the shower! That's a good one! Next time try jumping into the bath water and see... he hee.
  • Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdaleMember Posts: 529
    edited 27 February, 2006
    One of mom's roommates in college lived on Long Island and had a boat. They had Siamese and when they were kittens they took them on the boat to get them used to it. Then they loved the boat. I am sure it is never too late but if anyone out there reading this has a boat and a kitten the time to start is while they are young.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good point, Sydney! No old cats and new tricks, huh!? *thud* Also, Siamese tend to love water. But Linux doesn't do too badly, eh, pal Linux? We believe most cats are more adaptable than we are given credit for; if you do the boat thing a step at a time, why not?
  • Libbi Staab BoerschigLibbi Staab Boerschig LouisvilleMember Posts: 48
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm part Siamese and I found out today I like to be in the water. Mommy and daddy have a boat and we went out. They bought me a special life jacket with a handle on it. I didn't like it at all at first and told them so...I tried to reach and claw for anything I could but they wouldn't get near me for some reason. After I realized that was where they were keeping me for a while, I started to relax and paddling. I think next time I want the water to be a leeeetle bit warmer.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yo, Tazz!! Cheers! Good work! Hear that, Linux? Oh my--we must send you a sailor hat...
  • Zinnia SantosZinnia Santos Miami/Ft. LauderdaleMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks Sydney for that input. Tazz you are my inspirations! That was amazing. If you ever go out boating again. Have your parents take pictures would love to see them. Selket believe it or not I have a little Siamese in me. My cat father was a shorthair exotic but I believe he was bread with Siamese because he looks just like a siamese but with the flat face and stockey body. They do this often to get different types of coloring. I'll be putting pictures up of my cat parents my mommy got the picture from the breeder that I used to belong to. So that might explain why I am pretty cool with water
  • Libbi Staab BoerschigLibbi Staab Boerschig LouisvilleMember Posts: 48
    edited 27 February, 2006
    =^..^= Kitty Giggles=^..^= Funny you ask about the pictures cuz daddy took pictures with his cellphone but mommy said he is too cheap-o-**** to send them to the email account. But THERE ARE pictures of me swimming on his cell phone picture gallery.
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My dad has a fishing show on ESPN2 and is also senior editor for a fishing magazine, so, needless to say -- we've had a TON of boats over the span of our life. My dad used to take Ben (RIP) out on the boat, because Ben loved to have some of the fish he'd catch. Ben would simply lounge around and not pose any threats with jumping in the water, etc. However, knowing Landon's spunky and restless personality, we'd never take her out on the boat -- we bring the fish to her! I suppose it depends on the cat, really!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ATTENTION! We interrupt this thread for an important announcement! Brought to you by Felix. Through me. Meow there, fellow Catsters... We -- my buddy Jacques and myself -- are trying to help out our friend Sweetie. Sweetie is a delightfully charming cat who loves to play matchmaker...only she hasn't yet found a match for herself. So, to help Sweetie find the cat of her dreams, Jacques and I are hosting the first ever "Cat-lorette." If you're up for the challenge of winning Sweetie's heart, be one of the first 25 cats to sign up in the "Sweetie" thread under Catster crushes. All "rules" will be explained there. There, you'll also have the chance to meet Sweetie, and get a sense of what she's looking for in a crush. Good luck to all, and look forward to meeting you in Sweetie's thread! Meow, Felix