Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Please, I need your help.

Ronald CoonRonald Coon North ToledoMember Posts: 6
edited 7 June, 2005 in Behavior & Training
I've gott his cat... Hercules... and I've found that he's just peeing whereever he feels like it... I even caught him peeing right next to the food bowl! I don't know what to do, I've tossed him in the litter box, I've yelled, I'v been nice about it, I've done the whole treats-for-using-the-litter-box method... I don't want to get rid of him, he's my prize little boy... but what other options do I have?!? How can I train him to always use the litter box?!

Comments

• Lynzie BaldwinLynzie Baldwin Los AngelesMember Posts: 660
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Take Hercules to the vet, and have him checked out. If he's peeing next to the food bowl (an unusual cat behavior) he may be sick ... Marley would start peeing everywhere when she had a bladder infection. If he's not sick, Hercules may be making a political statement. Has anything changed in your household recently? New roommate? New pet? Loss of a pet? Also, long-haired cats often don't like normal kitty litter, and many require an absolutely immaculate litter box before they'll use it. There are lots of litter alternatives on the market now. Try some of them. Marley liked Feline Pine (pine sawdust compressed into pellets) but would never, never put her little feet in normal kitty litter. And maybe try giving Hercules more than one potty box, so if he used one already while you're gone at work, the other one will still be clean for next time he needs to go. Good luck!
  • Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Good advice, Marley! Also, read Beignet's post "Anywhere but the litter box" under T&O....it has some additional info. Good luck!
  • Lissette MatosLissette Matos MiamiMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Don't male cats pee everywhere to mark their turf? That's what I've always been told, and that could be the reason why he's doing that. Is he neutered?
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Marley gave you great advice, that's what I would suggest, too. I have urinary blockage and I pee outside the box, or try to when I'm in pain. Also when we got a new kitty, my sister started peeing everywhere.
  • Jacquelyn HalderJacquelyn Halder Member Posts: 32
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I DEFINITELY agree with Marley's advice! One of my cats (he died several years ago from liver cancer) was peeing all over and leaking urine. He had so many UTI'S and other problems preceding the cancer. I've also had cats that were unhappy about sharing the litter box, or would poop in one, pee in the other. You might, (after seeing ur Vet to rule out illness) try adding another litter box...I know it's a hassle, I did it with Kirby & Kody but was able to phase it out a year later. Good luck!!! P.S. I once had a cat that just plain LIKED peeing wherever she wanted...go figger huh? Lol!
  • Katie WalterKatie Walter HoltMember Posts: 2,808
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom had a cat named Herman who did that and he ended up with stones in his bladder and had to have surgery. Take him to the vet and get him checked out ASAP.